CuBox A two-inch computer For $55

• 26 July 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
CuBox, the smallest computer ever, is made in Israel by an Arab-Israeli company aiming to power the Internet of Things.
By Abigail Klein Leichman June 18, 2014

The 2x2x2-inch CuBox-i is the smallest computer in the world. It sells for just $55 and is made in Israel by SolidRun, a 10-person company cofounded by two Arab-Israeli electrical engineers with a background in the high-tech industry.

CuBox-i is the newest model from SolidRun, which launched its first CuBox low-power, miniature micro-PC and media center at the end of 2011, just a year after going into business. The tiny, yet powerful computer is not designed for tasks like word processing or photo manipulation. It’s mainly meant for the Internet of Things (IoT), among other uses.

Weighing only about three ounces (91 grams) with a built-in operating system and WiFi, CuBox can be your Android TV box, multimedia streamer, networked storage solution and pocket-size personal computer, running Lite Desktop and infinite open-source applications. If you need more juice, you can scale up to the CuBox-i2 ($80) or CuBox-i4 Pro ($140) without scaling up in size.

Full story

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Wow! It's super cool and immensely useful as a pocket computer. Thanks for sharing the article Beth.:)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Wow! It's super cool and immensely useful as a pocket computer. Thanks for sharing the article Beth.:)
My pleasure!

The company SoliRun has caught my attention. They offer the option to build your own mini computer. They refer to it as "B2B Build Your Thing". Very interesting company, inovative as well!

Userlevel 7
Hi Amit

As far as I can see it is not designed as a 'pocket' computer just as a very small computer.  I doubt that in reality one could use it from ones pocket.

But definitive very nicely formed and of course the size is useful for those who need to embed a propoer computer into other equipment, etc.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Ah I see.