e-mail hack?

• 14 September 2015
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Hi peeps!

Over the last few months I've received four e-mails, supposedly from a neice of mine which have turned out to be not from her after all!

These e-mails have used her name as the sender and part of her e-mail address but the end being different.  I had opened one but couldn't understand why she was sending me a link to some other uninteresting page, and was blocked by Webroot when I tried to open another so I checked with her and she said that she hadn't sent them.

I ran a few scans that did turn up a couple of threats but I've just received another which looks as if it may have come rom Japan!?  (@zad.att.ne.jp)   Would anyone know whats happening and what I can do about it?

Linda

2 replies

Userlevel 3
I would advise your niece that she has been hacked, and, at the least, to change her e-mail password.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi Linda,

Once you get your system cleaned up, I would contact your niece and have her get in touch with her email provider and ensure her account has not been compromised and take whatever steps are necessary, such as changing passwords. Then she needs to get to work cleansing her system.

It is hard to say what the issue really is.  It could be her account is compromised or it could be the attack that steals contact information from her local system and sends out bogus emails.  Either way it needs to be cleaned up. It will be easier to determine the exact next steps to take once you understand the nature of the compromise.

Good Luck,
Dave