Facebook Anti-Virus remover?

• 19 July 2015
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Hi all,

Just seen a post on Facebook from Facecrooks informing me of a new Facebook Anti-Virus reminder service from ESET.

Wondering if anyone can take a look and tell me what you think and whether it could be a usefull little programme to download or whether it's just another piece of sinister malware, albeit from Facebook itself.  

Even though I've read Romona Foster's report on the programme I'm wondering what Webroot thinks about it.

http://www.business2community.com/facebook/what-to-do-when-facebook-locks-you-out-01270811

Linda

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Linda

Hope that you are well?

ESET’s anti-malware service for Facebook is as far as I can see legitimate.  It is apparently based on ESET's existing online scanner that’s already available on the company's website.  Apparently, from what I have read Facebook has integrated the ESET technology into its abuse detection/prevention system and that is what will prompt users to run the ESET Online Scanner for free.

Having said that hackers will always be looking to exploit opportunity to dupe unsuspecting users so it is wise to be wary.

In all honesty, online malware scanners, such as the one available through Facebook, are OK as one-time on-demand scanners, but should not be viewed as replacements for locally installed antimalware programs, such as WSA, that also include proactive layers of protection...in WSA's case the Identity Shield, etc.

To answer your question more specifically, I do not believe that there is anything to download until it popup to advise it needs to scan, and even then I do not think that you will have the option to keep it, and with WSA protecting you I do not believe that you would need it anyway...but having said that there is no harm in a second opinion every now and then, is there? ;)

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Thanks a bundle Baldrick!

My sentiments exactly! I was thinking along the same lines as yourself (that WSA would take care of things anyway) but thought I'd ask the very people who know a lot more than myself on such matters their opinion.

To me, it's just yet another way for someone to worm their way into a supposedly safe, secure and personal site with the intention of stealing your info.

By the way, looking again at her report again, we can see a list of her friends on 'chat', as these are 'friends' who might have set their security to allow only Romona to see that they're on 'chat', and may not want their names readily available to everyone (apart from being available in search results - and as it's a screenshot) do you think that this might have been an oversight on her part or am I being SUPER sensitive?!! :/

Linda
Userlevel 7
As always, you are most welcome, Linda

And may I commend you on being cautious and careful in these matters...as that is the best 1st layer of defence in realtion to these sorts of threats...with WSA having your back after that. :D

Regards, Baldrick