Firefox falters, falls to record low in overall browser share

• 6 July 2014
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
y Gregg Keizer
July 6, 2014 08:41 AM ET Computerworld - Firefox's user share on all platforms -- desktop and mobile -- has plunged in the last two months as its desktop browser continued to bleed and its attempt to capture users on smartphones failed to move the needle, new data shows.
Apple's Safari fared almost as poorly since April, also losing significant user share, with a continued decline on mobile and a sudden slide on the desktop to blame.
During June, 17.3% of those who went online surfed the Web using a mobile browser, according to Aliso Viejo, Calif.-based Net Applications. Mobile browsing's climb of nearly 6 percentage points in the last 12 months represented a growth rate of 52%.

ComputerWorld/ Full Read Here/ http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9249566/Firefox_falters_falls_to_record_low_in_overall_browser_share

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I've always found Firefox to be such a memory hog, compared to Chrome.  That's why I switched over.
Userlevel 7
Chrome bothers me due to the fact it has its hooks into everything your doing.......do you agree nic on this??  Firefox I am running now with no problem they have a add on which reduces the memory consumption.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I've always found Firefox to be such a memory hog, compared to Chrome.  That's why I switched over.
Well if you open Task Manager while using Chrome you will see many processes and even more with each new Tab opened. I don't know why any Browser needs to use so much memory in the first place..........!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Well if you open Task Manager while using Chrome you will see many processes and even more with each new Tab opened. I don't know why any Browser needs to use so much memory in the first place..........!

Daniel ;)
Firefox may be a memory hog, but Chrome uses a lot more CPU, especially when you go to a webpage with Flash content, and most do these days from the ads.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@Antus67 wrote:
Chrome bothers me due to the fact it has its hooks into everything your doing.......do you agree nic on this??  Firefox I am running now with no problem they have a add on which reduces the memory consumption.
That is a downside, that Google likes to collect everything they can on you.  Still, convenience trumps it for me, and I do use some privacy blocking ad-ons like Privacy Badger from EFF.