Gmail for Android and iOS rolling out translate feature

• 21 August 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Aug 21 2023

Google is finally adding a native translate capability to Gmail for Android and iOS after long supporting it on the web client.

Update 8/21: Gmail’s translate feature is rolling out via a server-side update. We’re seeing it with version 2023.07.23.x. It’s not yet widely available, but one way to check is by tapping the second overflow menu in the message body for “Translate.”

That option brings up a banner with the settings gear letting you select something other than “Detect language.”

Original 8/8: Before the message body, Gmail will show a “Translate to” banner. Tapping updates what appears below with the ability to “Show original” again and “Automatically translate” a specific language going forward. 

Press the settings gear to pick another output language, with over 100 supported. This prompt appears when the contents of an email doesn’t match your “Gmail display language,” which is the first dropdown menu in web app settings

Gmail for Android and iOS can now translate emails [U] (9to5google.com)

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I’ve always used the web client on my phone, and also Apple’s mail client to read Gmail, so this is kind of meh. Translation has been on the web for some time, and translation on iOS was fairly easy. Not that I used if very often.  But taking this long on Android devices is sad news. I always assumed that their own OS had the translate feature built in.