Google Glass Explorers vilify restaurant that bans their headgear

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
by Lisa Vaas on May 30, 2014

Remember when that Seattle eatery told a Google Glass wearer where he could stick his spectacles?
Some Glass users are fighting back against establishments that have the *ahem* audacity to request privacy for their patrons, and negative reviews are their weapons of choice - even if they've never stepped foot in the place.
The war kicked off in April, when Glass wearer Katy Kasmai was asked to remove her headgear while at a New York City restaurant called Feast.
Instead of taking off her computerized glasses, she left. She didn't stop at that, though.

Full Article

A bit like the smoking ban here, smokers complain about their right to be able to smoke where they like but don't think non-smokers have any rights. People have a right to their privacy knowing they will not be recorded without their knowledge.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
All I can say is: I completely agree with your comment, Jasper. If I don't leave it at that, I will probably get into a rant... 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It's an interesting debate.  Generally restaurants can ban patrons for what they wear (or don't - see the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" signs).  However in California there are laws on the books that have been used to argue against mode of dress as a reason for banning someone from a place of business.  It will be interesting to see if anyone takes this in a technological direction with regard to Google Glass or any other wearable technology.
Userlevel 7
Looking at this from a neutral point of view, neither from the side of the Glass wearers or of the opponents, I tend to agree that a restaurant - or any other business - has every right to deem certain clothing/adornments unacceptable for use in their restaurant. Now, granted, I may not agree with some of their policies, for example if a restaurant banned certain shirts that I liked, I still feel that as the business owner, they have every right to do that - I do not own the business, they do. Patrons could simply take their business elsewhere. It is no different than a place of work saying that you cannot wear offensive or suggestive clothing, or devices that could be used to record co-workers. Would people complain about it in that case? Probably not, unless they have tons of money, because they know they need the job. In the case of a business of which you are a potential customer, you can just take your patronage elsewhere. Okay, I'll get off the Andorian soap box now... 😉