Google searches for a way to avoid Microsoft’s fate

• 18 January 2015
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
 A dip in the search behemoth’s market share has encouraged some commentators to compare it to Bill Gates’s company

The news that Google’s share of the web-search market in the US has suddenly dropped is interesting. According to an independent analytics firm, StatCounter, last month Google’s market share dropped to 75.2%, compared with 79.3% a year earlier. That is its lowest share since 2008, when StatCounter started tracking the data. Yahoo, by contrast, seems to be on the up: its December market share (10.4%) was the highest it has achieved since 2009.
This could be just a blip, of course, and it doesn’t change the fact that Google is still the dominant player in search or that its share of the European search market ranges between 90% and 96%, depending on which country you look at. So this is not the time to start selling your Google shares, but it does make one look at the company through a different lens. What if the dominance of its core business were beginning to wane?

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jan/18/google-search-way-avoid-microsoft-fate

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Good luck to them...but I really hope that they do not succeed as they are far to big and have far too much influence...so about time they were cut down to size so that the consumer is spared their overbearance...LOL
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@ wrote:
Good luck to them...but I really hope that they do not succeed as they are far to big and have far too much influence...so about time they were cut down to size so that the consumer is spared their overbearance...LOL
Agreed Balders. They are far too big, with intention to control such a lot. I believe one of their main objectives also is to appear to be able to 'predict' (for various uses). And I can sure see the relevance of comparisons to Microsoft's previous
efforts, an example of which is here, lol......:D