Google to offer satellite Internet

• 2 June 2014
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 6752 replies
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/02/google-to-spend-more-than-1bn-on-satellite-internet-reports-indicate

Apparently this will be low earth orbit, so the latency won't be as bad as other forms of satellite Internet.  I've actually worked somewhere remote enough to use satellite, and it is no fun having 1000ms ping times 🙂

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Thanks Nic!  I always imagined myself sitting somewhere like the beach or the gulf with a laptop that had a little satellite dish on top.  Looks like my dreams may finally be coming true! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Oh my word you are a character @ ROFL...1 billion from Google? Sounds good @ Fun article..
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks Nic!  I always imagined myself sitting somewhere like the beach or the gulf with a laptop that had a little satellite dish on top.  Looks like my dreams may finally be coming true! :D
Yeah, it would make working from a sailboat in the middle of nowhere much more feasible!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
How can I be serious when you guys are making me ROFL....I can't do my job....
Userlevel 7
Completely forgot about the sailboat option!
Userlevel 7
It's easy @  you just reach up over your head, fumble around until you find the keyboard and start typing 😉 Wait a minute, you've got an iPad, shouldn't it be down on the floor with you?