Hell freezes over as Apple supports right-to-repair bill

• 24 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

As California legislation nears finish line, Apple suddenly switches sides.

SCHARON HARDING - 8/24/2023

Somewhere, ol' Beelzebub is putting on his thickest coat because Apple has endorsed a right-to-repair bill, suggesting hell has frozen over. In a letter dated August 22, Apple showed its support for California's right-to-repair bill, SB 244, after spending years combatting DIY repair efforts.

As reported by TechCrunch, the letter, written to California state Senator Susan Eggman, declared that Apple supports SB 244 and urged the legislature to pass it.

The bill requires vendors of consumer electronics and appliances to make sufficient documentation, parts, and tools for repairs available to customers and independent repair shops. The big exceptions are video game consoles and alarm systems.

The bill has been praised by right-to-repair activists like iFixit, who says the bill goes further than right-to-repair laws passed in Minnesota and New York. Minnesota's law was considered the most all-encompassing right-to-repair legislation yet. Some activists, though, lamented that companies aren't required to sell parts and tools for devices not actively sold. California's bill, however, keeps vendors on the hook for three years after the last date of manufacture if the product is $50 to $99.99 and seven years if it's over $99.99.

The bill also allows a city, county, or state to bring a related case to superior court rather than only a state attorney general, as noted by iFixit's blog post Wednesday.

>> Full Article <<

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Welcome to the era of overpriced repair parts and tools.  And I’m betting repairing it yourself will still void the warranty. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This has been coming for a long time. I worked for Apple service for 20 years until 2018 and this was floating around for a few years back then.

as I worked for Apple service, I’m against this. I know how intricate the apple components are and there are a lot of hardware tools and software diagnostics needed which most end users will not have access to and even if they do they will not do it properly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I agree with you Russell. I just retired from Apple where I was on the technology development group. There is no way anyone could repair the product we worked on, much less a phone or iPad.

Even as an engineer, I tried to replace a battery on an  iPhone once, and it was very difficult. Turns out, I damaged the button in the process. 

Maybe Apple sees this as a way to sell more product?