how do I get rid of bing according to pc it isn't on it to uninstall

• 22 December 2014
  • 1 reply

I have purchased a new laptop, and now bing seems to have taken over I went to control panel to uninstall it and according to my laptop it is not installed on my pc. I have tried to make google my search enginge, but each time I get on I have to search bing for google to get to the google search engine. How do I fix this problem?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi mamamax

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Bing is not something that you install but rather it is a search engine (in fact Microsoft's equivalent to Google) and what you will need to do if you want to make Google your default search engine when you open your broswer will depend on which browser you use.

For IE:

1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button [img]http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/windows%207/main/4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg[/img]. In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.
  2. Click the arrow to the right of the search box. [img]http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/windows%207/main/605df6a9-5711-42f8-aa94-946ee7c48731_71.jpg[/img]The Internet Explorer search box
  3. Click Manage Search Providers.
  4. Click the search provider you would like to set as the default, click Set as default, and then click Close.

For Chrome:

1. Click the Tools icon at the far right of the browser window.
  2. Select Internet options.
  3. In the General tab, find the Search section and click Settings.
  4. Select Google.
  5. Click Set as default and click Close.

For Firefox:

1. In the search bar, there is a small arrow to the right of the search icon (magnifying glass)
  2. Click the arrow and then select “Manage Search Engines”
  3. Select the search provider you prefer.
  4. Click on 'Set as Default' button.
Hope that helps and answers your question?  But if not then please come back here and we will look at a Plan B for you.

Regards, Baldrick