how to get rid of https://secure.img-cdn.mediaplexcom

• 15 September 2015
  • 11 replies

This pops up now and then when I'm using web browser. after it pops up it states undefined. not sure what that means. this a virus or what is it and how do you get rid of it? webroot scanner does not detect it.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi Webroot01,
Welcome to the webroot community.

Sounds like you have picked up what is called a Potentially Unwanted App (PUA).  While Webroot does detect many of these PUAs ther is no way that any AV can catch them all.  There are just too many new ones being introduced daily. 

I am going to provide a link to another post that explains in more detail and should help you with this issue.
Be sure to read further up the thread at what Sherry has to say.

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Internet/cant-get-rid-of-pop-ups-from-LaSuperba/m-p/217214#M6669

Give it a shot and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Best Regards,
Dave
I have solved this annoying issue, at least on my computer.  I am running Firefox 40.0.3 on Win 10 Home.  I noticed this pop-up particularly when navigating through YouTube videos but at other times too.

I searched online and around on my computer, did a registry scan for mediaplex but no results.

I realized it's probably Malware or Spyware, so I ran the free version of {Edited} and BINGO!  popups are gone.

Hope this helps someone else.
Userlevel 7
Hello bwv565, welcome to the Community!

It sounds to be just what noted above: a PUA, and not actually a virus.  

Please, for future reference, it is not allowed to suggest using other AV solutions here as this is the Webroot Community.  Any time that WSA is not able to find or remove something, Webroot Support is available free of charge to help out.  Here is a bit more informatoin regarding PUA's.

(Potentially Unwanted Application) (PUA'S) These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

The best thing to do is to submit a Trouble Ticket and ask Webroot Support to take a look and remove these for you.  There is NO CHARGE for this for valid WSA license holder.
All I did was post something that fixed the issue for me, I was not promoting any other product.  It was to help others.  I thought that's what a community is for.  You can delete my account.  Not interested in having my helpful posts edited.
Userlevel 7
No need for that, I just wanted to let you know the usual methods here.  

I am sorry about editing, but I do have to follow the Community Guidelines set forth by Webroot.  I am not a Webroot employee, just a volunteer, but I am expected to follow them and help others follow them.

It is really not a big deal that a post might need a very small edit, and as a new member you are not expected to be fully up on the Guidelines.   

I was just trying to help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

This is understandable that David was trying to help and that you were trying to help the Community.

As David saids we are Volunteers and we are just keeping the Guidelines. We are sorry if you were offended. Please look at these Guidelines here if you would like. We enjoy everybody helping the Community. ;)

Kind Regards,
@ wrote:

I realized it's probably Malware or Spyware, so I ran the free version of {Edited} and BINGO!  popups are gone.

Hope this helps someone else.
It probably would have. I wish it had. Thanks for trying, bwv565. 

Congratulations Webroot -- this thread was the first Google result in regards to this problem. Your mods have succeeded in changing what was apparently a helpful post into an enormously frustrating tease. I especially liked the follow-ups defending the revision in the name of being helpful.

Have fun with your community guidelines. With PR like this, I'm sure you will have a record year. 
Userlevel 7
Welcome to the Community GeekDragon, 

If you are a WSA user and are having a problem with this adware, please submit a Trouble Ticket and Webroot Support will assist you with this. There is no charge for this as Support is of course included with your valid WSA license.
I found this fix on the net at [link removed]  I did it and  worked for my windows 7.

"Here is how to block mediaplex.com using the hosts file on Windows 10 and also Windows 7. (You’ll have to google instructions for other OSs, sorry.)
In the search box in the bottom left corner, enter ‘notepad’.
Move the mouse to ‘Notepad, Desktop app,’ and right click. Select ‘Run as administrator.’ When it asks you if you want to let the app make changes, click ‘Yes.’
In notepad, click ‘File,’ then ‘Open…’
Navigate to C:Windows/System32/drivers/etc
In order to see the file, one has to change the ‘Text Documents (*.txt)’ filter in the bottom right corner to ‘All files’. Select ‘hosts’, and then click ‘Open’.
Copy these two lines and paste them to the bottom of the file:
# get rid of annoying pop-up due to javascript error on this site
127.0.0.1 secure.img-cdn.mediaplex.com
click ‘Save’, click "exit". You’re done."

It worked for me
Userlevel 7
Freddy-Fresh, 

That is not an acceptable manner to fix the issue.  It only will mask the underlying problem, not get rid of it.  Editing of that file is also something that we do not suggest standard users attempt.

The best option is to contact Support for assistance.  
(edited: please do not post outside links on the forum) is classified as a potentially unwanted program. It is acting like other fake alert webpage, like Infection-warning-message.com. Actually, it is not a virus, you can follow the steps to remove it from your browsers completely. Good luck!

Source:

(Edited out link which is contrary to Community Guidelines)