Listen to an actual Microsoft support scam as it happened

• 9 March 2015
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
We have quite a few members who ask questions a about phone scams. This is an interesting article including to recordings.

March 6th 2015  By Steve Ragan

A caller from 949-000-7676 claims to be a Microsoft employee in order to access your system.

Please note: While the recording will be amusing to some, it's offered up here as a learning tool. Under no circumstances should you engage the scammers. Do not let them connect remotely, and do not input commands on your system as instructed. In fact, the moment you hear the automated voice warning you about problems, hang-up the phone.
Microsoft will never – ever – call you and offer a remote scan to fix something.
The scammers know that Microsoft is a household name and there is immediate trust associated with it. Remember, their primary victim is someone who knows the name Microsoft and nothing else. That lack of knowledge is central to the scam's overall success. By the time the call is connected in most cases, the game is over and the scammer has won.

Full Article and Recordings

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi @ 

I just loved that the Threat Researcher was recording this. Unbelievable! But the Threat Researcher sounded like he was a threat Researcher so I wouldn't fell into that trap if I was the con artist! Crazy stuff out there!

Great post..I had to let Ghostrey approve one time video though. :D

EDITED: Have to admit that news article sparked my interest tha's for sure!