Make Passwords Strong And Long

• 14 August 2014
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
We seem to have heard quite a bit about passwords lately but my inclination is to go with this method.

By Neil J. Rubenking   08/14/2014

Hardly a week goes by without news of a data breach that exposes millions or billions of passwords. In most cases, what's actually exposed is a version of the password that's been run through a hashing algorithm, not the password itself. The latest report from Trustwave shows that hashing doesn't help when users create stupid passwords, and that length is more important than complexity in passwords.
Hackers will crack@u8vRj&R3*4h before they crack StatelyPlumpBuckMulligan or ItWasTheBestOfTimes.

Full Article

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Interesting read @ . Maybe our US Government should read this article. Just before reading this article I was on my military government health care website (TriCare) and was notified that my password expired and I needed to make a new password. They have changed the making of your password. The password must contain uppercase letters, lowercase letters, digits, and punctuation, as it was before. The change is that you cannot use any word or part of a word from the dictionary in your password. According to this article then, there is going to be a lot of cracking passwords. 😠
Userlevel 7
Good read Jasper on passwords here is a web site that will test your strength of your passwords
http://www.passwordmeter.com/

also by Gibson Research Corp Perfect Passwords
GRC's Ultra High Security
Password Generator

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Interesting read @ . Maybe our US Government should read this article. Just before reading this article I was on my military government health care website (TriCare) and was notified that my password expired and I needed to make a new password. They have changed the making of your password. The password must contain uppercase letters, lowercase letters, digits, and punctuation, as it was before. The change is that you cannot use any word or part of a word from the dictionary in your password. According to this article then, there is going to be a lot of cracking passwords. :@
There has been quite a bit of press lately about passwords and some of it conflicting with traditional wisdom such as this article Microsoft: You NEED bad passwords and should re-use them a lot.
Maybe some of it boils down to personal preference but it does make a but some things from that link do make sense, I just keep strong ones everywhere to try to stay on the safe side.
Userlevel 7
It's an useful article. Thanks for sharing. I try to make my passwords long and strong. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
And for anyone who doesn't know, our password manager feature will generate strong passwords for you.