Microsoft allegedly paying bloggers to promote IE

• 18 June 2014
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
By Woody Leonhard | InfoWorld /Posted on June 18, 2014

Michael Arrington -- founder of TechCrunch (which made him notorious), CrunchFund (which made him rich and notorious), CrunchPad (which died in flames), and a long-standing Internet presence and opponent of paid blogs -- received an interesting email, which he posted yesterday on Uncrunched. The mailer claimed to be willing to pay Arrington to write a blog endorsing Microsoft's embattled Internet Explorer browser using #IEbloggers as a tag. As Arrington exclaimed,

InfoWorld/ full read here/ http://www.infoworld.com/t/web-browsers/microsoft-allegedly-paying-bloggers-promote-ie-244557

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You can lie on the Internet but you can't lie to the Internet 🙂
Userlevel 7
Now this I find incredibly humorous... IE is now considered so incredibly bad or unsafe that they have to PAY reviewers to try it LOL!!!

Microsoft of course has issued a denial that it wasn't really from them stating "This action by a vendor is not representative of the way Microsoft works with bloggers or other members of the media. The program has been suspended.""

The real question is: was that program suspended due to embarrasment?  Or was this attempt at purchasing good reviews merely an unusually funny attempt at phishing somehow?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It reminds me of all the silly reward schemes the create to get people to use Bing.  If you have to pay people to use your search engine...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The best use for IE: To download Firefox or Chrome!
Userlevel 7
@
This is exactly what I use IE for. After reinstalling OS, the first thing I do is download FF from IE. And then goodbye to IE. One can measure the downfall of IE by the news that MS is paying bloggers to promote IE. Simply pathetic.