Paging IT: Please report to the emergency room stat!

• 21 June 2014
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
By Anonymous | InfoWorld Posted on June 18, 2014

As tech pros, we know to never, ever overlook the basic root causes for a tech problem. If only we could get users to check the fundamentals before calling us -- especially in the middle of the night. In my 17 years of IT support and management, this particular encounter takes the cake.
I was working at a midsize suburban hospital with a fairly busy emergency department serving a multicounty area. At one point, it had 24/7 on-site IT staffing, but after budget cuts, we were down to three IT staffers, rotating 24/7 on-call shifts every third week. You never knew what to expect; we regularly faced everything from simple password resets to a core switch meltdown and all points in between.

InfoWorld/ full read here/ http://www.infoworld.com/t/it-jobs/paging-it-please-report-the-emergency-room-stat-244502

1 reply

Userlevel 7
LOL!  While I have never had to do this task at an ER, I have had pretty much the same situation many times before... I would guess that everyone who has ever been in IT, phone based support, etc has run into this. 

The sad thing is that if the staff had stayed on the phone instead of hanging up, chances are 99% this would have been fixed over the phone due to how often this soft of thing happens 🙂