Sound Off About Windows XP!

• 4 January 2015
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Sound Off About Windows XP!

I cannot believe how many Doctors and Hospitals are still running Windows XP. :@ Within the last few months I have noticed this with doctor visits and hospital visits for regular checkups. All but one of my doctors are still running Windows XP. Thank God that's the family Doctor. I'm not silent when I find out that they are running Win. XP. They have all my private information on their computers. I have the ball rolling at two offices to upgrade their system after talking to the head one in charge. We'll see if they upgrade by the next visit. Next time you visit your doctor or any other office that keeps your private information, see if they are still running Windows XP. If they are Sound Off on them.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Same over here Dave...many of the Banks (and more worryingly their ATMs) and many hospitals, and government institutions are still on XP.  The major issue as I understand it, to upgrading is, the time and cost involved, given the procedures/processes they are bound to operate under...which as we know are very bureaucratic, etc.

I suspect that if anyone could get the ball rolling then there is a gold mine of untapped opportunity to make this happen...and in the meantime our data, as you have rightly surmised, is in danger/comprommised/potentially exposed, etc.

A bad job all around...but there is no easy fix...unfortunately.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
There was a good discussion of this on other community that I frequent.  The HIPAA requirements say that whatever OS you use has to be on the latest patches.  But it doesn't spell out which OSes are approved, nor does it talk about end of life of the OS.  So it is totally HIPAA compliant to be on Windows XP since there are no more patches coming out for it.