The Hyperconnected World Has Arrived

• 9 August 2014
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
An interesting discussion on the challenges ahead. 8/8/2014 11:00 AM Michael Sutton
 "Yes, the ever-expanding attack surface of the Internet of Things is overwhelming. But next-gen security leaders gathered at Black Hat are up to the challenge.Whenever I depart Black Hat, I leave inspired by the amazing research that our industry continues to deliver and more than a little apprehensive about the evolving security challenges we face. This year was no different.
For me, Black Hat 2014 was confirmation that the hyperconnected world is no longer coming -- it has arrived. There were a plethora of talks devoted to hacking, beyond traditional targets and techniques to include everything that comprises the so-called Internet of Things (IoT). From NEST thermostats to medical devices and tapping into alternate communication channels such as cellular protocols and radio waves, the hacking community has charted a new path for a post-PC world.
Yes, the hyperconnected world is here. It’s in our homes and on our persons, and despite many painful lessons to improve software security, in many ways we’re starting from scratch when we enter the IoT. While we should adapt lessons learned in the software world, that will not always be practical. This new world comes with many unique challenges not previously faced."

Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Not really convinced by the arguments in this article...I think that it is altogether easy to raise the spectre of major calamity as we get more and more interconnnected...but then we are more connected than we were yesterday but yesterday we were more than the day before that...and we survived...and will do as long the Security Jedis continue to battle with the Malware Sith Lords...:D