The World's Most Hackable Cars

• 2 August 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I have a feeling we have 1 or 2 members of this site who like cars ;)
This is quite a good article about the most hackable cars. Hacking the systems of a car can obviously be dangerous, especially if things like radios and brakes are on the same network so it baffles me why this was not considered is some cases.
Now if they could get my kettle to talk to the tap and request more water that would be a step in the right direction :D

Kelly Jackson Higgins  8/2/2014

"Researchers find 2014 models of Dodge Viper, Audi A8, Honda Accord are the least likely to be hit by hackers.
If you drive a 2014 Jeep Cherokee, a 2014 Infiniti Q50, or a 2015 Escalade, your car not only has state-of-the-art network-connected functions and automated features, but it's also the most likely to get hacked.
That's what renowned researchers Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek concluded in their newest study of vulnerabilities in modern automobiles, which they will present Wednesday at Black Hat USA in Las Vegas. The researchers focused on the potential for remote attacks, where a nefarious hacker could access the car's network from afar -- breaking into its wireless-enabled radio, for instance, and issuing commands to the car's steering or other automated driving feature."

Full Article

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
:D  Jasper interesting indeed!

Well I was wondering could a policecar get hacked too with all its internet and bluetooth devices. They don't drive Audis! Well you know what I'm trying to say...:S Controling brakes and what not!

As the article saids but this is a must read article in my opinion..Different vehicles had different network configurations: Some had Bluetooth on a separate network than the steering and acceleration systems.

Salute
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
No vehicle should in any way be hackable, just think of the possible consequences , it hardly bares thinking about.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
No vehicle should in any way be hackable, just think of the possible consequences , it hardly bares thinking about.
Agreed!

This is a serious issue. Precautions have to be taken, the potential danger is an extremely serious matter.
Userlevel 7
The following article is a update:
Car hacking made cheaper and easier.

Posted on 27 March 2015.Fiddling with your car's innards will soon become easier and cheaper than ever before, as Eric Evenchick has created and made available hardware and software design files for CANtact, an open source CAN bus tool that can be manufactured for less than $100.

Evenchick, a freelance embedded systems developer, presented the CANtact device on Thursday at the Black Hat Asia security conference in Singapore, and demonstrated its effectiveness to the audience.

The device gets connected to a laptop's USB port and the car's OBD2 port, which is located under the car's dashboard. It allows hackers, testers and researchers to connect to the car's Controller Area Network (CAN), which connects to the various computers that are embedded in modern cars and control things like brakes, windows, the engine, and so on.

One of the things important to mention is that in order to use the device you have to have physical access to the car and the aforementioned port. full article