These 3-D Printed Skeleton Keys Can Pick High-Security Locks in Seconds

• 26 August 2014
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I wonder how many people could have foreseen this possibilty, it is quite a problem.

By Andy Greenberg  08.26.14

A 3D-printable file of a restricted Ikon SK6 key blank, which can be used to create a bump key.

"One of the hairier unintended consequences of cheap 3-D printing is that any troublemaker can duplicate a key without setting foot in a hardware store. But clever lockpickers like Jos Weyers and Christian Holler already are taking that DIY key-making trick a step further: They can 3-D print a slice of plastic or metal that opens even high-security locks in seconds, without even seeing the original key.
Weyers and Holler’s trick is to 3-D print a “bump” key, which resembles a normal key but can open millions of locks with a carefully practiced rap on its head with a hammer. Using software they created called Photobump, the two engineers say it’s now possible to easily bump open a wide range of locks using keys based on photographs of the locks’ keyholes. And even without a high-quality 3-D printer, those specialized bump keys can be mail-ordered from 3-D printing services like Shapeways or i.Materialise that have no restrictions on printing keys."

Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That technology is amazing. I was already aware of bump keys, but that takes it to a whole new level.  I had an amateur interest in lockpicking back in the day, and had my own set in college.  We used to practice opening doors in the dorm and pranking people (hopefully the statute of limitations has passed 🙂 )

I think this is going to soon make physical keys obsolete and everything will have to be digital locks that use fobs to communicate and open.