USB Type-C spec finalized but no word on when it will launch

• 13 August 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
By John Callaham

http://www.wpcentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/large/public/field/image/2014/08/usb-type-c.jpg?itok=bwxWRI_C

The USB 3.0 Promoter Group has now finalized the spec for a new connector and cable, USB Type-C, that is much smaller than current USB ports and cables. It is also designed to offer reversible plug and cable orientation, meaning that users will be able to insert a USB Type-C cable in its supported port in either direction.

The port will support USB 3.1, otherwise known as SuperSpeed USB, which will offer data transfer speeds of up to 10 Gbps. The port will also support power delivery up to 100W. However, the new connector and cable design does meant that current USB devices will have to use adapters to use the Type-C products.

Full Article.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Finally!  I've always hated USB due to the fact that it is superficially symmetrical but can only be plugged in one way.  Getting the Lightning cable for iPhone has been wonderful.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hey I was thinking thats another gadjet! I want one!!:D
Userlevel 6
100W over USB?!
That could be enough to power a Notebook; At last the smaller ones (HP mobile workstation = 240W).
Userlevel 7
By John Callaham

When products that use the recently finalized USB Type-C connector and cable start launching in smartphones, tablets and notebooks, they will also be able to support DisplayPort audio and video, thanks to a newly announced agreement between the USB 3.0 Promoter Group and the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA).

The new feature is being called the DisplayPort Alternate Mode, or Alt Mode. According to VESA:
Using the DisplayPort Alt Mode, a USB Type-C connector and cable can deliver full DisplayPort audio/video (A/V) performance, driving monitor resolutions of 4K and beyond, SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.1) data and up to 100 watts of power–over a single cable. The DisplayPort Alt Mode can also drive adaptors that support the huge installed base of existing DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI, and VGA displays.

Full Article.