What happens when a 3rd party has accessed your computer for a computer software repair.

• 14 October 2015
  • 2 replies

I recently had issues with getting a epson printer driver to load on my home network.  After much frustration with epson administrator password not working, I contacted Epson's support.  Their tech (possibly 3rd party) said he needed to have access to my computer to review the problem.  He looked at the problem and said it was that I have a virus that is eating up all my resources and that for $200 dollars he could fix for the next year.  I told him I was not interested and we ended the conversation.  Do I need to do anything to make sure he does not have the ability to access my computer again or once he is off it is done.  Also when I scanned with webroot again, I found no viruses attacking my system.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +35
It definitely sounds like you contacted a third-party support company - why would a printer company offer "virus removal" for $200?

Typically these third-party "support" companies are only after your money and don't install anything other than the remote access software. LogMeIn and TeamViewer are two of the more popular applications that they use, and you can remove them via Programs and Features in the Control Panel if you see that either has been installed. 

It would also be a good idea to change your passwords now, just to be on the safe side. 

When looking for support numbers, always get them directly from the company website and not through search results to avoid paying third-party support companies for service that would otherwise be free.

-Dan

Dan,

Thank you for the advice. 

I am finding alot about how epson wireless printers are not allowing me to have access to the administrator password of the printer.  When calling epson I again get a 3rd party, with them wanting access to my computer and then not being able to explain how to remove or reset the administrator password on my epson printer.  They have explained how to go around the administrative password and connect to the printer, but when doing the driver update from epson I am still unable to update due to not knowing the administrator password. 
I have reset passwords on computers and will most likely purchase a higher end hp printer in the near future.  I have never had this much problem with a printer and then being charged by a 3rd party to get it updated to work correctly. 

Again thank you for your help and keeping me secure,

Taync