What is "taskeng" .exe ?

• 5 September 2015
  • 1 reply

What is "taskeng" .exe I believe.  all of a sudden it appeared in a box on my laptop and my laptop

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi kramdandy27

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Well, this is not an easy one as there is a "real" taskeng.exe, and also a "malware" taskeng. exe. The legitimate one is part of the Windows Task Scheduling Engine whilst the other speaks for itself.

From what I have read if taskeng.exe is located in a subfolder of C:Windows then it is unlikley to be the 'malware' version but if located in a subfolder of the user's profile folder then it is much more likely to be the malware version.

Have you run a scan with WSA to see whether it detects anything untoward?  If not then please do so or alternatively you could locate the file and then right click on it selecting the 'Scan with Webroot' option to see if that detected anything.

Given that there is no clear cut answer, and removing the genuine Windows component could casue you knock on issues, this is best left to the professional and I would strongly recommend that you Open a Support Ticket and get then to investigate for you. This service is free to all WSA users with an active subscription.

Regards, Baldrick