Windows 10 Media Creation Tool...are these Upgrade tools or Clean installs.

• 17 August 2015
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I have created both CD and Flash Drive.  Received notice in Win 7 update that my upgrade was ready to download and install. If I just use the CD instead of Win Update download will I receive an upgrade or a clean install.  Clean install requires a Product Key, does it or not.....?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I have created both CD and Flash Drive.  Received notice in Win 7 update that my upgrade was ready to download and install. If I just use the CD instead of Win Update download will I receive an upgrade or a clean install.  Clean install requires a Product Key, does it or not.....?
Just install within Windows and it will upgrade don't boot on to the CD or Flash Drive just have windows running and install Win 10!

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
?  Also it will keep all your programs and files intact so I would Back Up Important info such as Music, Pictures and any other necessary files just to be safe as you never know!

EDIT to add!

Also lots of info here if you need to do a Clean Reinstall for some reason: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media, like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded. To learn more, click here.

Daniel 😉