WinPatrol ownership changes hands

Userlevel 7
Posted by AnandKhanse@TWC with Tags Misc 

This is indeed the end of an era...and let's hope not the start of the demise of a stalwart app for some of us.  I have personally never used it, but have reviewed it many times, and I think that Bill is one of a dying breed of developer that started out with the PC & Internet all those years ago:

http://news.thewindowsclubco.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/winpatrol-scotty.gif?7f80ea

"Launched in 1997, WinPatrol is amongst the most popular and trusted security freeware, for many a Windows users. One of our favorites, it was always the first software I installed on a newly formatted computer, just so I knew what changes each subsequent software made to my system during installation.

Scotty, the faithful Windows watchdog, will keep a watch on your Windows PC and inform you of any changes made to your system. It alerts you when changes occur in the Internet Explorer Home Page, Accelerators, Toolbars and other add-ons, Startup Programs, Windows Services, Windows Registry and more. Like all our freeware offerings, WinPatrol too will never install any crapware!"

Full Article

5 replies

Userlevel 7
It has been a long time since I used it... in fact I had forgotten about Scotty.  Seeing it brings back good memories of my early days in computers and the internet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I saw this a couple of days ago, and I agree, I hope it is not the start of the end for WinPatrol. I have used it for a long time here and it gives me no problems at all and is quick to jump in IF anything happens. I don't think Bill would have chosen anyone to take over if he had any doubts. Bill has always refused to allow those annoying extra downloads like Chrome etc to be included with WinPatrol despite the prospect of earning him axtra cash. Yes it will be a sad day if it goes downhill.
I used to use BoClean but that was sold out to Comodo and that was the end of that good one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Long time user but not for the past few years and also a fellow Microsoft MVP http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Bill%20Pytlovany-4021932

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Current user for close to a year. I certainly hope it does not change.
Userlevel 7
WinPatrol was one of my earlier apps and I was very happy with it. Bill did a outstanding job on its  development.............I also hope this app will continue development I'm sure Bill made the right decision.