Wireless broadband can reach the moon, and maybe Mars

• 25 May 2014
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
622Mbps down and 19Mbps up isn't bad, but the lag...
by Katie Collins, wired.co.uk May 24 2014, 2:04pm GMTST

Aside from air, water and fresh vegetables, what would need to survive on the moon? One thing that would likely of feature high on the list is a decent, reliable wireless internet. And thanks to a group of researches from MIT and Nasa this kind of connectivity could be within the realms of possibility.

Between them, the two organizations have demonstrated for the first time that data communication technology is capable of providing those in space with the same kind of connectivity we enjoy on Earth, and can even facilitate large data transfers and high-definition video streaming.

To do this it uses four separate telescopes based at a ground terminal in New Mexico to send the uplink signal to the moon. A laser transmitter that can send information as coded pulses of invisible infrared light feeds into each of the telescopes, which results in 40 watts of transmitter power.

Full Article

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Jasper....Wow in our Lifetime? Amazing! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I know when I visit the moon I'm always getting poor reception on my smartphone 🙂
Userlevel 7
I am getting poor reception on my smartphone down here...forget the Moon or any of the planets...LOL  Let's get down here sorted out before 'boldy going where few men have gone before'.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
You know it was just what I thought when I posted it. There is not a lot of call for an internet connection on the moon yet so get this place sorted first.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I know when I visit the moon I'm always getting poor reception on my smartphone :)
That's because you always wander around in the barren land with your phone. You have to be in the wifi zone in my house to get the best speed.

Anyways, I'll be able to better connect to the Webroot Community the next time I visit the moon.:)