I’ve used Webroot for almost a decade. It absolutely the strongest protection out there. I have never, ever, not even once, had a virus infection that I had to remove. It always blocks it. I love Webroot… except….
The bad news… it DOES cause Windows slow down a LOT. This has plagued Webroot for years… really ever since I initially recommended it to a former employer and convinced them to switch to it back in 2013. They now have it deployed to several thousand endpoints.
I would really like Webroot to focus on improving the speed. There are unnecessary things that occur in the WR client, such as when there is a directory exclusion set in the console, the WR client re-scans the entire directory every so often, finds all EXEs, and re-determines its status even if the directory is excluded. Many processes are tracked, whether excluded or not, and it still runs through its system, it just doesn’t alert on the issue. This is just one example of unnecessary processing power.
Sadly I am reminded of how fast my computer really is when I remove Webroot for one reason or another. This time I’m removing it to diagnose a compatibility issue.
With all that being said, I have not stopped using Webroot, but only because of its ability to truly block infections.
The speed issue is a night and day difference though when WR is removed from a computer. Seriously… that’s the ONLY thing that changes…. and the computer flies.
I’ve been considering switching my company away from Webroot for this very problem. There are many other great endpoint products that users do not report the sluggish issues. I hate to recommend to my MSP clients to use another product, but there’s really no other option when the speed improves 20-40% when Webroot is removed, even with Windows Defender enabled.
I’ve worked with WR support for years, opened many tickets, and unfortunately that’s the response many employees give. It’s a proper one from a support standpoint, but the issue is not with the computers that WR is on - it’s not the operating systems - it’s not the third party software - it’s not the network - it’s with the code itself. This isn’t just a bug at this point, it’s a business issue that I foresee causing WR as a company, financial loss, as more people switch away due to the sluggishness. I am not sure if management is not aware of this issue, if the development team is unaware, or if it’s a topic that is purposely not discussed for some reason or another. I really like Webroot, I want to stay on your team as a client, but it’s … no bueno and hasn’t improved. :-/
The issue has persisted from Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, and now 11.
I have taken advantage of the exclusions heavily… extremely heavily. Nearly a third of the apps that we use on a day to day basis are blocked. Nothing fancy either - Photoshop, ISO files, Acronis backup files, various tools. The exclusions do help, but only about 15% with speed.
I love it otherwise. :-/
Googling “webroot endpoint protection slow”:
Googling “webroot endpoint protection sluggish”:
If you just search the word “slow” in the forums, there are over 12,000 results.
Hoping for the best outcome for this matter, I know everyone will be happy! 😀
Best answer by jhartnerd123View original