Solved

Webroot Endpoint Protection for MAC - Unable to Connect to Service

• 20 March 2024
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4

Hello all,

Has anyone been experiencing this issue with the Webroot Endpoint Protection agent for MAC?  All our managed MACs in various sites, running macos 11/12/13/14, are experiencing this issue.  This has been happening since October 2023.  This happens after a reboot where the agent will load correctly and then crash during a scan.  

Webroot Support has not provided any ETA on a fix.

Thanks for any feedback,

Michael

icon

Best answer by TylerM 21 March 2024, 17:34

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @mcattano 

It’s best to contact Webroot Support Directly and they will let you know what’s going on.

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/business/support/contact

If you have time please let us know the outcome.

Thanks,

Userlevel 4

Thanks for the response TH.

I have a ticket open with support and they have no ETA on a resolution to the issue. I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this in their environment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Thanks for the response TH.

I have a ticket open with support and they have no ETA on a resolution to the issue. I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this in their environment.

Okay sure thing! I can ping a couple of Mac users @MajorHavoc  @russell.harris to see what they say.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi. I’m afraid i’ve never seen this message, my endpoints seem fine.

I’ve just checked a couple and they havent got this message. My Management console is also showing endpoints across all sites (I have 30 sites) checking in today.

I hope support are able to assist.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I am currently not using endpoint security as my clients are all consumers and they want their own control.  I have no more business clients these days.  Sorry, I can’t comment on the issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do let us know @mcattano how you get on with this and hope it’s resolved soon for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

@mcattano 

I talked internally with support and they said this is CAG-2088 defect. It’s going to be fixed not in the next release coming, but the release after that. They said to reach out to support through your ticket to be added to the CAG-2088 defect if you haven’t already and to get an ETA of that release (I don’t have one at this time). 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

That’s not really a good enough answer @TylerM . So what do MSP/MSSP’s do in the meantime if they have hundreds or thousands of endpoints with this issue? The MAC Agent is in a sad state of affairs if you ask me. 

Userlevel 4

@mcattano, @jhartnerd123, et. al,

We will be remediating this issue in the upcoming release, which is slated to start deployment within ~2 weeks.

In the meantime, there is a workaround to this issue. This issue is caused when a machine is rebooted with the Webroot SecureAnywhere UI open. When the reboot occurs, the OS will by default re-open any programs that were running at the time of the reboot. When the UI process is restarted, it is thrown out-of-sync with our security process (that is also restarted in the background).

Our security daemon process is still running in the background and protecting the machine; the UI is just unable to receive data from the daemon process.

To workaround this issue, a user may either manually or automatically shutdown the UI process and restart it.

Manual Workaround:

1. Navigate to the Webroot SecureAnywhere Tray Icon.
  2. Click the icon and select “Shutdown SecureAnywhere”.
  3. Confirm the Shut Down in the “are you sure” dialog.
  4. Reopen the Webroot SecureAnywhere UI.

Automatic Workaround:

1. Issue the terminal command:
    sudo killall -9 Webroot\ SecureAnywhere
  2. The UI should automatically re-open.
  3. Optionally, the UI can programmatically be reopened by issuing the terminal command: 
    open /Applications/Webroot\ SecureAnywhere.app