Solved

I keep getting a notification: "Turn On Your McAfee"

• 20 June 2023
  • 6 replies

I’m running MacOS 13.4. 

I keep getting a notification that says “Turn On Your McAfee”. It shows up once every 2 or so minutes. I’m guessing that it’s some sort of Malware. I never used McAfee. And I haven’t clicked on this notification. 

I examined System Settings / Notifications. McAfee is not on the list. 

What do I do to get rid of this? 

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 20 June 2023, 15:39

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’ve seen this as a fake notification coming from chrome. I would go into settings notifications and turn off notifications for chrome.

I hope that’s the trick

Thanks for the speedy response. I should have mentioned, this “Turn On Your McAfee” notification is coming from MacOS System Settings. I don't want to turn off all notifications from MacOS System Settings. Who knows? MacOS System Settings might have something really important to notify me about once in awhile. 

There’s got to be another way to turn off this “Turn On Your McAfee” fake notification, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @wardlarkin 

In this case contact Webroot support and they will help you sort it out!

Webroot Support:

Submit a ticket 24/7/365

Call 1-866-612-4227  during the week Mon - Fri 7 AM to 5:30 PM (MDT)

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @wardlarkin 

Any news and do you require further assistance?

Thanks,

Yes, I apologize for not posting my status. 

I contacted Webroot Support. My issue for resolved within a few minutes. In short, and as Russell.Harris suggested (see above), the problem was with Google Chrome. Google Chrome was infected and was issuing fake notifications that appeared to be coming from MacOS System Settings. 

I had previously contacted AppleCare+. They weren’t helpful. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Great to hear and thanks to @russell.harris with his suggestion and glad support helped you! 😎

Cheers,