Solved

Cant download programs - Webroot blocks all.

• 5 June 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Heres a funny thing.
Have just uprated my wifes PC, and at the same time installed Windows 7 (32 bit - so earlier 'essential' programs could be used again)

All went well - however, I suddenly found that I could no longer install any downloaded program - they all appeared on the webroot blocked list.
To overcome this I removed Webroot - installed an alternative, and was able to carry on as per normal. I wish to use Webroot again - but before I re-install has anyone any idea what could have happened and why webroot was so agressive.
Thanks for any guidance you can offer
icon

Best answer by DanP 5 June 2014, 00:48

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Purgatory

Now I have come across some downloaded software being blocked when trying to be installed...usually for very good reason as it turns out...but no longer install ANY downloaded app...that I have not.  When you say all how many did you try and what were they...perhaps the issue lies there.

If you had not changed the install defaults for WSA then all I can think of at the moment is that you had a corrupted install and therefore would have needed to try an uninstall/clean reinstall before seeing if the same issue manifested itself.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Hello Purgatory,
The only way I could see this happening would be if you are downloading the installers from third-party download sites that install additional, Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUAs) along with the software that you are trying to install. We recommend only downloading software from the official download sites for the products on the software companies websites whenever possible. You can read more about this here. The post is specific to browsers but the same applies to all applications. 

If you are still experiencing issues, please Submit A Support Ticket so that we can investigate this further.

Thanks,

-Dan
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Hi Guys
many thanks for your thoughts, sorry about delay in replying.
YES - thinking about this, lots of the problem programs were from third party 'suppliers' - which had all sorts of 'c**p included. It was so difficult to find installs direct from the OE suppliers in this instance.
Have today reordered my next 12 months webroot, so will take the opportunity to do a removal and fresh install when this arrives.
Thanks again

Userlevel 7
Glad that is sorted out!  The issue did have me scratching my head a bit, especially if 3rd party downloads was NOT at fault.

Remember when you do a fresh install of things, if you are meaning Windows, watch out not only for 3rd party download sites but a lot of 'manufacturer direct' downloads must be watched very carefully.  Adobe Reader is of course pretty much needed software for most, but it now does come with PUA garbage included unless you opt out.  Read everything very carefully and know you will probably need to specifically opt out of a lot of garbage as you download even legit software from legit sources.