Solved

Chrome lockups?


Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I don't know if this is the reason why but every time I go into Google Chrome's litle task manager it locks up for a long time before being able to do anything with it. Also going to chrome://memory does the same thing as well. 

 

I think it happened around the same time I installed Webroot.

 

Does Webroot do anything with Chrome that would possibly do that or is it something else? 

 

Please let me know. 

 

 
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 18 August 2013, 21:46

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:

I don't know if this is the reason why but every time I go into Google Chrome's litle task manager it locks up for a long time before being able to do anything with it. Also going to chrome://memory does the same thing as well. 

 

I think it happened around the same time I installed Webroot.

 

Does Webroot do anything with Chrome that would possibly do that or is it something else? 

 

Please let me know. 

 

 

Can you make sure Chrome is installed in the correct path in Program Files or Program Files (x86) as I have seen some complain that it installed in the user space appdata section?

 

TH
Userlevel 7
Hello Remixedcat!



I don't think it has anything to do with Webroot. I also use Chrome and I do have the Webroot extensions enabled but do not have that problem. I also do not recall any other posts regarding this as a possible issue.



I am guessing it might be from some other extension that you have enabled, java or adobe for instance, but I really do not know for sure.



You might try going into the process manager to see all running processes and how much CPU and RAM they are using. That might help in figuring out where the problem is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I found the thread about Chrome installing in the user space: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2261706&postcount=2097 & http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2261716&postcount=2098 & http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2262160&postcount=2105

 

TH
Userlevel 7
Thanks Daniel!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I disabled GPU compositing and thread compositing and I have chrome installed in both? directories?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:

I disabled GPU compositing and thread compositing and I have chrome installed in both? directories?
Export your Bookmarks and do a clean reinstall of Chrome. Uninstall Chrome and reboot and check for left overs by doing a search in My Computer and delete any  folders related to chrome in both Directories and then install a clean download of the Latest version of Chrome and let us know if that corrects your issue!

 

Thanks,

 

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ill reinstall chrome and see.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I reinstalled and it's seems to do better.... 

 

So it might not be Webroot doing it after all...

 

Did wip out Canary just to try and it does not do the lock-ups either.

 

I would use it but the RAM usage is higher for Canary. 
Userlevel 7
Glad to hear that things are on the mend!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:

I reinstalled and it's seems to do better.... 

 

So it might not be Webroot doing it after all...

 

Did wip out Canary just to try and it does not do the lock-ups either.

 

I would use it but the RAM usage is higher for Canary. 

Great to hear and thanks for the reply to let know the outcome! 

 

Cheers,

 

Daniel 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thank you all for the assistance ;)

 

I really don't know what it was but it's working better.... for now that is.... he he
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I don't use Chrome but I'm Glad it worked. 😉

Reply