Solved

Compatibilty question

• 12 November 2013
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 7
  • Community Leader
  • 314 replies
Hi fellow Webroot users!

I am new to the forums and just a few minutes ago posted a little intro about myself before I get into asking my questions 😃. My current "base line" security setup is NIS v 21 and Malwarebytes Pro. On top of that, I have Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus. Is this setup compatible? I know about not running two AV's at the same time, but I hear that Webroot is compatible, so I just want to confirm that. Will it cause any conflicts if one sees a threat when the other doesn't, or if they both see a threat? What about the outbound firewall? My NIS has both inbound and outbound, I know Webroot only has an outbound firewall and relies on Windows or another firewall for inbound protection. Are the two firewalls compatible or do I need to disable one (Webroot's or NIS's) for the outbound protection?
Thanks for the help!

Shran
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 12 November 2013, 23:18

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Webroot runs at the kernel level and will take a step back to allow the other solutions to stop the threat. However, if they fail to do so, Webroot will take care of it. 

You are perfectly correct regarding our firewall and how it runs in tandem with the Windows FW. Webroot should be compatible with NIS's FW and if any conflicts present themselves, we would like to gather wsa logs through our ticketing system.
Userlevel 7
Thanks! So I won't get one of those times where they both are fighting each other to scan the file or quarantine it, resulting in neither one actually sucedding and nothing getting quarantined? Another question that isn't really related to the original, can you tell me the difference between the default for heurisitics, the maximun heuristics, and "block any program that is not specifically whitelisted"? The last one is pretty self explanatory, but my question regarding that one is do the heurisitcs still run when I have them set to block any program that is not whitelisted, and if so, what level do they run at? Also, does the journaling and rollback still monitor everything when I have the heuristics set to that? Another question about the firewall is when something attempts an outbound connection, does it first go through NIS's firewall and then Webroot's, or Webroot's first and then NIS's? I have my firewall settings in Webroot set to ask when any new, untrusted process attempts to connect, if that makes a difference.

Shran
Userlevel 7
Think of it like UAC for Windows. Standard is what is recommended for the average user. Enhanced is more aggressive and would flag .exe's based on how popular their origin is, if they are older, and if they are widely used by other users without negative impact. I would stick with Standard or the Enhanced setting. 

'Warn when any new program executes that is not specifically whitelisted' would get extremely annoying and is not necessary with our advanced Webroot Intelligence Network and journaling capabilities. 

Journaling will log the behaviors of any .exe that has not yet been identified by Webroot as 'Good'. Unknown files will be journaled for possible remediation in any case.

I'll follow up with you on your FW question once I investigate further.

Userlevel 7
So I take it that the maximum setting is even more aggressive than Enhanced? I prefer to always have my heuristics at the highest aggression level. So basically Enhanced is more aggressive than Standard, and Maximum is even more aggressive than that?
I wouldn't really use the warn when any new program executes setting, as UAC does that anyway. But, if I did choose to set it to that, would heuristics still run on something like the standard level? Like when I get signatures similar to "Heur.Win32.gen" from Webroot. I have so many questions, I hope I am not pestering! If a file is rated "good" Webroot won't journal it then?

Thanks.

Shran
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
This is just my Opinion WSA with MBAM is more than you would ever need, for me WSA with Max Heuristics and I use another firewall that was a one time payment back in 2004 Look'n'Stop Firewall and still works on Win 7 x64 plus I'm a safe surfer NIS is so large and heavy and as you will learn like most of us WSA is quite enough and keep MBAM as it is a lifetime license and I know allot of users that use that combo as a layered approach. What is the size of NIS with all defs to install these days? Just something to think about but Mike is correct no conflicts with the three but if Norton does ever throw up a notification that WSA is not compatible just ignore the message!

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Thanks for your reply, Helix! Should I call you Helix, TripleHelix or Daniel by the way?

Such a great and friendly community here! :D
So, you use heuristics on maximum too? I appreciate your opinion 😃, but I'm co-dependent on my Norton, lol 😛 I feel like I can't live without Norton 😛. I'm sure Webroot alone is enough, but as long as I can use both I will!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Yes, home users just surfing the net should set heuristics to maximum.
There is a small risk for increased false-positives, but they should be so rare it's worth sending an email to Webroot support to get anything fixed.

Regarding NIS, you're more than welcome to use it at the same time. WSA is explicitly designed to function with another antivirus, though you may have to play with the self-protection levels in some circumstances for perfect operation. I've never had to. It's up to you if you want to renew Norton next year, but it is a good product and does add a layer of protection. Because of Webroot's design you won't suffer an additional performance impact.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
We will covert you or you will learn for yourself I just think that a computer is more than just running security programs and WSA only uses 3 to 6MB of RAM very light but very mighty strong like the Klingon Bat'leth. :D

Daniel In The Lions Den
Userlevel 7
I do surf safely too, I just like having the layered approach anyways. I like your Bat'leth analogy, but you are forgetting that Worf's favorite weapon was the Mek'leth and it was even lighter and better ;)

Shran
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
😃

😃
Userlevel 7
http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070708201926/m__/memoryalpha/en/images/7/79/Shran%2C_2153.jpghttp://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050514185908/m__/memoryalpha/en/images/8/8e/Talla-Shran.jpg:D
Userlevel 7
Hi CommanderShran

Am interested in what you say as I run WSA with KIS; have done so since Prevx days and they have always played well together...as Webroot's philosophy (as was Prevx's previously) is one of coexistence rather than conflict.

But as TH has stated you would be safe with just WSA basically. I go back a long way with KIS so it is hard to let go...but if I decide to finally drop KIS it will only be to use WSA solo. Well, perhaps one day.

Anyway, hope to see you about in the Community Foeums in the future.

Live long and prosper...V

Baldrick