my computer has BSOD: DLLREGISTERSERVER failed with the error code 0x80040201.

• 23 June 2015
  • 2 replies

0x000000ce driver_unloaded_without_cancelling_pending_operations   windows defender time out error code 0x800705b4. when i run webroot scan . it says i have no virus threats. but i cant get rid of it . is there anything i can do .

2 replies

Good Morning and welcome to Webroot.

Without knowing what version of Windows this is and without the complete BSOD code given this is a tough one to help resolve. It is a driver issue but the problem is we can not determine at this stage if it is solely a driver or a hardware failure. It could be as simple as a drive cable going bad to a hard drive early warning of failure.

However the easiest and probably most viable option at this stage is to do a system restore to a day or two ago when this system was working without any errors. The process is fairly simple and it should get you back up and running.

Windows 8:
  1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)
  2. Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel.
  3. Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and then tap or click Recovery.
  4. Tap or click Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions.
Windows Vista and above:

• Open System Restore by clicking the Start button [img]http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/windows%207/main/4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg[/img]. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore. [img]http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/windows%207/main/18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48.jpg[/img] If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer.
Please try one of these and let us know how it works for ya.

I was presented with a 32 bit Toshiba laptop (Windows 7) with this issue. It was not a real BSOD. It was a browser window purporting to be a genuine message . It was accompanied by a recorded female voice repeating a warning about the issue.

I presume it's malware downloaded with a game.