Question

Why is Webroot punishing casual crypto mining?

• 22 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Support refuses to deal with the issue.

Webroot ignores the whitelist for NiceHash QuickMiner and it constantly kills the process and prevents installation even though it’s thoroughly whitelisted.

What’s the point of a whitelist that gets ignored because they want to punish casual crypto mining?

4 replies

Even though whitelisted and not actually malware Webroot wants to keep flagging NiceHash QuickMiner with false positives.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Intoxicus ,

This is a really good question. Since Support has not yet been able to resolve this with you, let me see if one of our product experts has any thoughts - @dstokes1 

@Intoxicus  Out intent is to not punish casual crypto-mining, but the heart of the issue is that cybercriminals are using the same miners in their operations and it gets further complicated by the fact that many of these miners are updated frequently.

In this case, although it appears on the surface that NiceHash is being blocked, it actually is not, there is a dynamic plug-in NiceHash loads to mine various cryptocurrencies that is the issue. An Override should work here, but will require constant updating probably on your part to keep up with dynamic plugins.

@Intoxicus  Out intent is to not punish casual crypto-mining, but the heart of the issue is that cybercriminals are using the same miners in their operations and it gets further complicated by the fact that many of these miners are updated frequently.

In this case, although it appears on the surface that NiceHash is being blocked, it actually is not, there is a dynamic plug-in NiceHash loads to mine various cryptocurrencies that is the issue. An Override should work here, but will require constant updating probably on your part to keep up with dynamic plugins.

Well, the end result is what matters most and it feels like you guys are giving casual crypto miners a big middle finger.

Your tech support doesn't even understand what I am asking about and keeps giving me replies that are inappropriate and show they are not sufficiently competent. How is it they keep telling me to whitelist it when I’m telling the it is whitelisted and the whitelist isn’t working properly?

Maybe you need new tech support people that have basic reading comprehension? I’m not joking or exaggerating here. Very truly & literally it’s like they either did not read my emails, do not understand my emails, or are intentionally trolling me. Or maybe some of all three?

At best it’s lazy. Yes you can differentiate between malware and legitimate mining. Maybe you need to maybe, coordinate with the legitimate mining apps and put that work in? You should know just as well as I do that to use a miner as malware changes need to be made that an A/V absolutely can detect.

*Assuming all crypto mining is malware is anti consumer, compromises security overall, lowers the quality and value of your service, and leaves people wondering stuff like “Are A/V companies trying to stifle crypto.”*

I’m not paying Webroot for lazy service that makes everyone less secure at the end of the day.
Which is why I am going to find a new A/V unless Webroot makes corrections quickly.

Perhaps read this conversation in the screen cap and think about how Webroot is pushing away it’s user base….

https://github.com/nicehash/NiceHashQuickMiner/issues/438