Solved

148 spyware objects

• 30 May 2013
  • 8 replies

Seriously while webroot complete was installed and running I just removed 148 spyware objects. My computer had been getting really slow, I noticed a couple new toolbars on IE and thats when I started scanning with webroot nothing came up then I scanned with malwarebytes and nothing I decided to give Spybot S&D a try and ESET and that's when I found out the extent of it.

Even after removing 148 Various Spyware and Viruses. It ended up that I had to completely reset my entire Windows 8 computer which has been set up less than a year. I am pretty pist off right now because I can't trust webroot with the computer yet I already paid up for another year on this computer But I wont risk having to reset again hours of work and time lost already not to mention work that I did not get a chance to back up yet.

icon

Best answer by Rakanisheu Retired 30 May 2013, 17:52

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
What told you that you had 148 spyware objects? Spybot is well past its best now and I wouldnt advise using it anymore. I would guess it detected cookies which are harmless.
you can guess all you like but the fact remains webroot did not detect a win32 trojan or several BHO objects including a conduit IE bar which is spyware and I couldnt get rid of and the main reason I just reset windows 8

You can play it off like spybot may be past its prime and that may be true but even past its prime it detected 100% more than webroot did and removed about 40% of it !
Userlevel 7
Conduit isn’t malware it’s a user installed toolbar that can be classified as a potentially unwanted application (PUA). The majority of BHO`s I see on customers PC aren’t malicious and can be removed using the built in extensions manager in FF/Chrome/IE.

The reason why I said Spybot is past its sell by date is because it is and I would rely on any of its detections. And without evidence I those 148 detections could have been FP`s or just cookies! Since you have reset there is no evidence anymore which is a shame as we are always interested in new threats or items that aren’t detected.

I would advise if you have further issues to create a support ticket so we can help out.  Either myself or one of my colleagues would be more than happy to view some diagnostic logs or even connect to your PC.

at the time I was just worried about getting my computer back I couldnt even load IE ..... but if I happen to ever use webroot again ( Slim chance ) ill make sure and create a support ticket if i can get a browser up long enough to do anything with it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Do you have MBAM installed? Is so have a look in their user forum!
Userlevel 5
Let me say this, your obviously frustrated and upset on what is happening with your computer. However you should have submitted a ticket to support that is what they are there for. You did not give them a chance to analyze the logs and/or any files submitted to them for viewing. Just to fly off the handle and vent your anger serves no purpose, that is why we have this forum to help everyone out...........Let me say this..............This forum is top notch and your lucky to have the help.
Userlevel 1

@ wrote:
you can guess all you like but the fact remains webroot did not detect a win32 trojan or several BHO objects including a conduit IE bar which is spyware and I couldnt get rid of and the main reason I just reset windows 8

You can play it off like spybot may be past its prime and that may be true but even past its prime it detected 100% more than webroot did and removed about 40% of it !

I've been using Spybot since the time when it was still good for detection (many years), and from personal experience - it will find many many items of "malware" on any computer with any antivirus. Like it was said above, most of those items are harmless cookies that legitimate AV's do not pay attention to.
As far as the toolbar - good luck finding a program that will block that without completely locking down installation rights on your account. It was most likely installed when you were installing some free software off the web. So as far as any antimalware program is concerned - you were intentionally installing a legitimate application.
It's easy to get frustrated, but I doubt you'll get better results with any other alternative anti-malware program.

Userlevel 7
So WSA and MBAM found nothing and Spybot found all those spyware objects. No surprise since they most probably were unwanted toolbars, BHOs, etc. as there were already new toolbars installed without the user's consent and caused pc slowness.

Hm. Roy is right. Those BHOs, toolbars, etc could have been removed in other ways. rgapen says the IE wouldn't even load. It would have been interesting to see if there were indeed any new malware which were undetected by WSA. If a ticket was opened Roy could have looked at it. Guess we will never find out. 

Also if anything missed WSA detection because WSA was not sure, the rollback feature should have kicked in.