A false positive during BIOS update? ( W32.Malware.Gen)

• 8 June 2015
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
High,

I'm a new user of Webroot Security Complete and I have a question concerning quarantined false positives. Last week I was updating the BIOS of my tablet (windows 8.1), using the official producer's updating software. When Samsung's updater launched the exe file (FLUPDATE.EXE), Webroot immediately blocked it and quarantined it, because it identified as a W32.Malware.Gen  malware. Now, I'm 99% sure that this file is clean (because I was using the official updater). My BIOS, of course, didn't update. What do you suggest me to do ? Shall I change the application status to monitoring and wait for the program to check it with the cloud or shall I send the file directly to the support team ?

Thank you

Andrej

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello bluewill,

This does sound like a false positive .

Please contact support and open a Ticket and they can check it out , they can certainly whitelist it for you:
https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp

Kind Regards,

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Thank you Sherry and bsodcsi for your fast and exhaustive replies. I followed both suggestions: I opened a ticket and I also updated my BIOS after turning off Webroot. I'm really amazed at how fast I got help from the community and from the support. At the end, my BIOS updated perfectly and the support found, that the file was a false positive and whitelisted it.
I just wanted to ask a question. When I turned off all the Webroot shields, I managed to install the BIOS, but after the system restart, all shields were again active. This could have been a problem, because the update was not finished yet, but fortunately it didn't interfere with the process. Is there a way of turning off the protection, so that it won't restart after the reboot ? In my opinion it would have been better if, at startup, Webroot had warned me and asked if I wanted to activate the shields again.

Thank you againg for your help

Andrej