can hackers get on my pc with Webroot on it?

• 24 September 2015
  • 6 replies

My sound isn't working, just hooked speakers up to it & contacted the PC support... the tech did an annalises on it and said the sound card had been corrupted by a hacker on my pc but I have Webroot Secure Anywhere & didn't think hackers could get on my PC.. is that true or false?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?.

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

I can't say if a hacker accessed your PC with Webroot.

If you feel you have a threat then it's best to submit a Support Ticket free of charge with an active subscription and they will gladly assist you.

Hope this helps,

KINd Regards,
Sherry, I don't think they hacked my PC thru Webroot, I was just wondering if webroot has protection against hackers.

thanks
jan
Can I just add this,

Are you using windows 10 by any chance because I am having the same problem with my sound card there is no sound coming though since the last windows updates. So it could be a bug in the updates. If your not using windows 10 I suggest you do what sherry said.

Thanks Adam.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?,

Nothing is 100% ..but I can tell you this.

WSA has an integrated Identity Shield feature that provides a secondary layer of
defence against financial and information stealing malicious software.

Identity Shield assumes your PC may already be infected with sophisticated
and hard to detect malware such as a banking Trojan and neutralises the
threat by shutting off its data theft activities on your PC, thereby keeping your
identity and online activities secure.

The Identity Shield protects all the details you share with an internet bank. It protects 
information like login details, passwords, account numbers, credit card details and
personal information such as addresses, dates of birth etc. It also adds a second layer of
protection against highly targeted banking and information stealing Trojans to ensure your
identity and online activities are fully secure.

With your purchase of the Complete edition of Webroot® SecureAnywhereTM, you can use the
Password Manager to automatically remember your user names and passwords, automatically fill
in web forms, and create a secure password for all your website transactions. You never need to
remember multiple login names and passwords again.

To keep your data safe from hackers, the Password Manager encrypts all your login and password
data on your local computer. Webroot uses the same encryption method employed by the US
Government for Top Secret data. The encrypted data is meaningless to Webroot and to anyone else
without the decryption key. This key is stored on your own computer and is created from your
email address and master password. Your personal data is never sent over the Internet and is never
stored on Webroot servers.

Hope ths helps?
I have Windows 7 Professional

Userlevel 7
Badge +35
@ wrote:
My sound isn't working, just hooked speakers up to it & contacted the PC support... the tech did an annalises on it and said the sound card had been corrupted by a hacker on my pc but I have Webroot Secure Anywhere & didn't think hackers could get on my PC.. is that true or false?
What PC support did you contact and where did you get the contact information for the PC support?

Telling you that your sound card has been "corrupted by a hacker" sounds like a tech support scam to me.

Webroot SecureAnywhere does protect you from malware that may be used by hackers.

-Dan