Solved

Cryptolocker infection against webroot live in thirty minutes!

• 28 November 2013
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 3
It will be live in thirty minutes. It will be showing webroot vs cryptolocker with my secure anywhere complete, please don't try this at home, I am doing this to help convince my boss to start carrying webroot and also to show the world, this will be something you don't want to miss, so check it out at http://www.twitch.tv/monsterarmy_07 and don't forget to post to this as I will be using my phone to reply to messages on here not on the channel, ask questions and I'll answer, please don't forget to do so, I want everyone to be informed about it.
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 28 November 2013, 18:20

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 3
please comment in here if you are going to tune in! i need to know so i know when to start the download.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello in the Community Guidelines it's not encouraged to do such personal testing!

No Private Testing Discussions.
We do not condone private malware testing by end-users.  This is never a good idea, and in some areas it's actually illegal.  The whole point of antivirus software is to not get infected, and unfortunately when somebody sets a bad example, there will always be others who are influenced into following the same path.  It's not something we want to allow to be encouraged.

Regards,

Daniel
Userlevel 3
I was doing this under a controlled environment and I through out the video made sure to let people know that I am a certified technician and I am just proving the protection and giving more information on what it is, I will make sure to not do anymore testing live and will not post about it, however I can say it did succeed in protecting the system, I made sure that no one was able to see the addresses for the virus as it is such a dangerous one. Thank you for the information about testing though, I appreciate it
Userlevel 7
We know you are a technician, and you DO know what you are doing, the only concern is that others may try to imitate you, and that could find the others in trouble.  We are worried about THEM just to be safe, and that is what the Guidelines mean. :)

Userlevel 7
I THINK what you can post, without any quibble or complaint, is a post regarding specific threats and the fact that in your job as a certified tech you were presented with a computer with said infection and WSA was successful in helping to remove.  That is not giving anything specific enough to be an issue with the Guidelines, or with others trying to repeat.  :)

@ can I get a confirmation on this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I just go with the guidelines I don't try to read between the lines I can do this testing so others will say I can to and we don't want them to Brick there systems with any nasty. I did cross the line myself and stopped posting about it ever since.
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie/Just-got-a-new-Email-from-so-called-DHL/td-p/51240#.UpeUOOLZG_o

I know many Techs that do this but really it's not for public forums as users come here to ask for help.

I hope you understand?

Daniel
Userlevel 3
I do, thank you, I just wanted people to be able to witness what it can do and why webroot is my recommendation, sorry for doing so but if you want the raw footage to use for web root I'd be more than happy to give it to you as it would be a good way to present webroot to large companies who would be a targeted threat not a randomized threat.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You should send a PM to Cat the Community Manager but she will not be in till Monday!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
The intent is wonderful, we just always have to be careful how we execute :)

Send that PM as Daniel suggests, and make reference to this thread.  I am sure Webroot will help give you the official scoop as to what is allowed, and tips on turning your wonderful intent and information into something that will become very valued posts here!
Userlevel 3
No problem, will do for sure, I just hope my boss will start carrying webroot due to its amazing abilities