Solved

Webroot causes program to slow to a crawl

• 4 November 2013
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
As of yesterday, November 3, 2013, Webroot is slowing one of my applications to a crawl when I attempt to perform certain functions. The program, which I have used for more than eight years, is called Geocaching Swiss Army Knife, or GSAK. More information on the application can be found here:

http://gsak.net

GSAK is essentially a SQL type database program that maintains geocaching information. Normally, an action that updates, for example, 1,000 records takes about 5 seconds on my computer. As of yesterday, this same action on the same data requires more than two minutes. Nothing has changed on the PC, so based on past experience, I strongly suspect that my copy of Webroot SecureAnywhere is being overzealous in scanning for suspicious activity.

I have tried turning off the Realtime Shield and the Rootkit Shield while running the program; no change.

I have tried unchecking "Check files for threats when written or modified." No change.

I have disabled both Basic Heuristics and Webroot Infrared. No change.

The author of the program has strongly recommended that I exclude the folder where GSAK data is stored, which resolves the problem with most anti-virus and security software. However, I see no way to exclude a folder using Webroot, and based on forum threads here it looks as if this is not possible.

Is there anything else I can try? This is making me crazy, and the program now runs so slowly it's unusable.

--Larry

Edited to add that the program is flagged as "Allow" in Webroot's "Block/Allow Files" tab.
icon

Best answer by Rakanisheu Retired 4 November 2013, 14:25

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Larry,

I will download the program and start whitelisting it. It would help however if you submit a support ticket so we can gather logs from your PC. 

Thanks!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Thank you! I've already submitted a support ticket, under the same e-mail address I used to register here.

--Larry
Userlevel 7
I have just replied to the support ticket for diagnostic logs. We cant exclude a folder but I can whitelist its contents, I have already done about 200 files so far but I will wait for the logs from your PC.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Just to let everyone know, a Webroot threat researcher has looked into the issue, and has updated the database to resolve the slowdowns I've been seeing.

Major kudos for the rapid response and quick fix.

--Larry
Userlevel 7
No problem that should be fixed, if it isnt just reply and we can do some further checks

Roy
Userlevel 1
I just got this PC, and also my first time with WebRoot, but just on this post it s.eeems you take your users inout seriously.  That's what I b/need, so iI will comntinue to use your program past my free 6 months with purchase.

My most major issue (tat I dont currently have), is indeed if something slows my computer down.  Seems you fixed that before I even had it happen,, but good job.
Userlevel 7
Welcome to the forum LunaticAsylum.

Our Community is happy to help with any questions you have and our technical support is free of charge. If you ever do experience slowdowns, they will be able to investigate and respond to the issue promptly.
I don't understand how this post is a solution to 'slow' computer. Whenever I turn on Webroot PC security my application slows to a crawl and errors. The program is fine when I run with 'PC Security' turn off. I have done everything I can find in settings to allow the program to function, but it has not helped. How does one go about diagnosing why SecureAnywhere is slowing down the system?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello jp9999 and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

Please Submit a Support Ticket and they can gather a Scan Log and it could be a simple thing of getting some files Whitelisted.

HTH,

Daniel 😉