Solved

How good is Webroot?

• 15 July 2014
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I used to be a Prevx, Spysweeper, early antivirus adopter, but I was also a alpha and beta tester for N360 on a test system.  I switched to N360 after the high number of false positives I would get with prevx and the amount of viruses I was seeing getting throuth with the early av.  So I have read the reviews and tests, but I was wondering what is real life.  How many false positives and viruses are really getting through?  I do a lot of consulting and have a standard recommendation that I give out that has worked well for people for many years, but I been using Webroot on a new computer and seems to be working fine.  The other question about the cleaning tools, how is the registry cleaner because I'm not a fan of aggressive cleaning, causes to many problems.

Thanks,

Tim
icon

Best answer by Rakanisheu Retired 15 July 2014, 15:03

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
You shouldnt ever have to "clean" the registry its not only a waste of time it can cause issues. Its advised against by a number of experts including Microsoft. The link below is from Mark Russinovich who is the author of the Windows Internals series of Books.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2005/10/02/registry-junk-a-windows-fact-of-life.aspx

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/how-to-clean-computer-registry/683b8c3f-9601-425f-83e1-c016d4aef31d

As for the performance of the software since you are familiar with Prevx and Spysweeper you should feel right at home. I dont put any faith in AV tests as they favour old style of definition based AV`s (which are arent). 
Userlevel 7
Welcome sont13 to the Webroot forum you came to the right place:D Let me say this Webroot is the best IMHO nothing better but I will step aside and let our forum members with vast experience and expertise explain more in detail for you..............enjoy the forum and stay away you'll find no better anywhere else freindly conversation and helpful information your looking for;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +62

@ wrote:
I used to be a Prevx, Spysweeper, early antivirus adopter, but I was also a alpha and beta tester for N360 on a test system.  I switched to N360 after the high number of false positives I would get with prevx and the amount of viruses I was seeing getting throuth with the early av.  So I have read the reviews and tests, but I was wondering what is real life.  How many false positives and viruses are really getting through?  I do a lot of consulting and have a standard recommendation that I give out that has worked well for people for many years, but I been using Webroot on a new computer and seems to be working fine.  The other question about the cleaning tools, how is the registry cleaner because I'm not a fan of aggressive cleaning, causes to many problems.

Thanks,

Tim
Welcome sont13 to the WSA Coummunity Forum!~ Great to have you here! Have you checked the reviews Here and all you need is the System -Optimizer video.

Im a big fan of Webroot and use on 5 PCs with no problems including WSAC on my Mac/Apple Mavericks system. Webroot has the BEST Technical Support/Free and they cannot be beat. Nobody on this planet can get this type of Support . Running in the cloud and automactic updates and with little resources. Another article Here and Virus Removal. And our more info right here   /  The WSA Cloud video Enjoy!!

So if you have anymore questions feel free to ask us all because we are willing volunteers to help in anyway we can.

EDIT I'm sorry for carrying on you did say you've read the reviews....;)

Userlevel 7
Hello sont13. Welcome to the Community. WSA is as good as it gets. As Rakanisheu said, you'll feel at home since you were a PrevX user. WSA is based on PrevX. It's faster, lighter and more effective.
Userlevel 7
Welcome to the community Tim!

Looks like you found your "new home", happy to have you!

This is a wonderful community, friendly and knowledgeable members. 

Come often and post!

Enjoy!

Beth
Userlevel 7
Hi sont13

Welcome to the Community Forums.

In terms of the 'Registry Cleaner' or System Optimizer (but it cleans more than just the Registry) I use it weekly as my main optimizer for my system, and so far I have not had any issues after use.  One can control what it cleans to a certain extent but I tend to leave the defaults as is.

I would say that as a cleaner it is top notch, erring on the side of stability & safety.

On the FP front, I have not seen any for a long time.

BTW, I was also a PrevX3 user, and then a PrevX4 alpha & beta tester prior to PrevX being acquired by Webroot...and the basic PrevX4 design is still there at the heart of WSA.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Baldrick