New Install Kept Crashing My Computer

• 6 September 2016
  • 3 replies

Bought a new Lenovo computer and received a six month subscription for webroot/secureanywhere internet security.

I allowed the pre-installed McAfee to run out it's 30 day test subscription before I installed webroot.

Today, I used revo uninstaller pro to remove all traces of McAfee and then used the webroot cd to install the app.

Well, everytime I opened my browser (any browser) I would get a jumbled mess of my home page and then a blue screen that said the pc was having a problem and had to close!

IThe pc would shut down before I could make sense of whatever it was that was causing the crash.

This was not the 'typical' BSOD that I am use to seeing on my other pc's.

It was a light blue color with a smoly face and may just be Lenovo's, windows 10 way of crashing?
I caught something about a driver in the string of numbers before the crashes?

After the sixth crash, I did a restore which took webroot off of my pc and gave me the McAfee back (not the fully functional one) and I haven't had a problem since!?

Any ideas?
Thank You.

MC

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi mrclose

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Sorry to hear that you have been experiencing problems.

Personally I am guessing that the issues are due to the uninstall of McAfee conflicting with something and personally when it comes to McAfee the only thing that I would use to remove it is their own Removal Tool that you can download/get instruction on HERE.

What I would suggest is that you (i) remove McAffe agains using the removal tool, (ii) reboot & (iii) then install WSA again following the instructions below:

Please follow the steps below closely in terms of installing WSA on the target system/machine!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you have or add your Keycode to your Online Console HERE
  • KEEP the computer online during the install to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE). Let us know if it is the Mac version you need.
  • Install with the new installer, entering your Keycode when prompted to do so in the install process
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot 
and that should do the job.

Let us know if you decide to try agains and what the result is.

Regards, Baldrick
Thank You Baldrick.
Have to go out for a while.

I will let you know what happens when I get WR installed again.

I am worried though.

Is there any chance that I can mess up the pc (permanently) by trying again?

MC
Userlevel 7
Hi MC

To be honest there is always a risk of that but I would say the chances are slight especially if you make a System Restore Point before you start the removal of McAfee.

Ideally a disk image is best but you may not have the necessary to do so...so the System Restore is the next best thing.

Regards, Baldrick