Solved

I am afraid!!!

• 8 September 2023
  • 7 replies

My computer was beeping loudly and said that windows defender detected my IP number was hacked, I guess. They want me to call an 888 number, but I don’t think I should. I have you for protection, I thought you would know if I was having trouble. I am not savv with all this stuff and now I am afraid. Can someone help me?

icon

Best answer by ProTruckDriver 8 September 2023, 22:04

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7

Hello @JRGiacinto 

DO NOT CALL THE 888 NUMBER! I recommend getting in contact with Webroot Support. It may be a simple solution like a pop up blocker needed.

Webroot Support:

Submit a ticket 24/7/365

Call 1-866-612-4227  during the week Mon - Fri 7 AM to 5:30 PM (MDT)

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I will second  Pro’TruckDriver’s suggestion. Having an IP attacked is not really a thing that happens. Someone might spoof an IP number to fool a server into passing back info to them,  or make it look like they are somewhere else, but no one really hacks your IP number. You might have received an IP number collision detection where someone set their IP to yours in an attempt to gain access to servers or sights you may currently have been connected to, but typically they would have to be on your local network to do that.  Were you perhaps on an open Wifi at the time? 

Best to call support and talk to them. A lot more info will be needed to know what happened. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As mentioned by @ProTruckDriver it’s best to check with support. He has given you the legit contact details so you’ll know you’re safe. 

good luck

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

@JRGiacinto 

It’s simply a scam browser page that takes over your screen and makes noises and speaks to scare you. As you were previously told, NEVER call or click any of those links. 

If you cannot close the window, simply press and hold your power button to turn off the computer, wait 30 seconds and power it back on. It should be gone then.

Next you can simply clear your browser cache, history etc.. as well as any temp files on your computer. Clear any/all browser extensions except for the default Google ones, Webroot and an ad blocker like uBlock Origin. There’s nothing else really you need to do.

Hope this helps

John H

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

@JRGiacinto

It’s simply a scam browser page that takes over your screen and makes noises and speaks to scare you. As you were previously told, NEVER call or click any of those links. 

If you cannot close the window, simply press and hold your power button to turn off the computer, wait 30 seconds and power it back on. It should be gone then.

Next you can simply clear your browser cache, history etc.. as well as any temp files on your computer. Clear any/all browser extensions except for the default Google ones, Webroot and an ad blocker like uBlock Origin. There’s nothing else really you need to do.

Hope this helps

John H

This is also sound advice and just smother the computer off, turn it back on and you should not see any issues. 

If you do - then there is something in the registry for startup that we can fix for you when you call support. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

@JRGiacinto

Hope this helps

John H

This is also sound advice and just smother the computer off, turn it back on and you should not see any issues. 

If you do - then there is something in the registry for startup that we can fix for you when you call support.

I would caution powering down the machine like this  actually unless you can’t force quit the app. I do not recall if you mentioned Mac or Windows, but forcing a running computer off can cause some very serious issues, including damage to a drive.  Often, after a forced power off, machines may not reboot . Data is being written to a drive and can take some time to complete, and a forced off can cause that data to be incompletely written, resulting in disc errors. I have seen several cases of Windows machines throwing BSOD after a forced power off.  I’ve see Macs not bout as well.

i recommend a force quit of the bad as a first attempt.  On a Mac you can hit Command-Option-Escape to bring up a Force Quit Application dialogue . Simply select the app that is misbehaving and press Force Quit. 

On windows, right click in the menu bar (in a blank area) and select Task Manager. There you will see a list of running applications and tasks. Find the app you need to quit, right click it and select Force Quitt.

This is much safer than “pulling power” from a running machine.  And if that fails, forced power down may be your only choice, but I’d recommend quitting everything you can before doing it 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@JRGiacinto

Hope this helps

John H

And if that fails, forced power down may be your only choice, but I’d recommend quitting everything you can before doing it 

Also if the system is locked up and the only way is to force a shutdown by holding the power button down until it shuts down as I had to that few times many years ago, no choice. But try to shut down normally first!