How Well is Your System Protected?? --Five Simple Test from AMTSO

Show first post

119 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Nic, @  am wondering if there is anything that you can suggest to assist liontamer in getting this sorted.  The ability to replicate the same issue on a 2nd system does seem to me to suggest a software rather than hardware-related issue.

liontamer, what version of Chrome and WSA are you using?  I think that I read that your Chrome was at v35 which is pretty up to date if I recall as I am only on v33...so perhaps it is a very recently introduced compatability issue between Chrome & WSA?  And your version of WSA is?

Regards

Baldrick
Sure, let me see what I can find out from some folks here.
Userlevel 3
Hello...my Chrome version is 33.0.1750.146 m

And WR...I have no idea. I downloaded it directly from the main webroot site as a trial, and then entered my license info. So I'm assuming it's as late as is released?

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Hi Nic, thanks...much appreciated. ;)
Userlevel 7
Hi liontamer

Re. the WSA version just open the main panel and click on the My Account tab...that should open up in situ and display Keycode (unless requested to be hidden in Advanced Settings), Product & Version.

Let us know what you have installed.

Regards

Baldrick 
Userlevel 3
Ahhh....sweet....I think that was the only place I hadn't looked! Anyhow, I have version: 8.0.4.66 of Internet Security Plus.

Thanks for the tip!

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
So according to our folks here basically all that is doing is detecting that "malicious" URL rather than any sort of behavior.  We're planning on adding it to our list, but basically it isn't really indicative of any real world anti-phishing protection.
Userlevel 3
So, the fact that Chrome is not getting the phishing extension at all doesn't suggest there may be a problem? I understand that I'm taking it to a test site of course, but everyone else, or at least those I've discussed it with, has the ProgramData/WRData/Chrome/Chrome_1.xxx extension in their directory, whereas I do not. Plus, there is no extension in Chrome other than the Webroot Password extension. It just seems that it's not going to work in the way that it should to me??
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That's the hard thing about test sites - what are they really testing?  Especially with malware - you'd want a disposable PC or VM to truly test something on with real live malware.
Userlevel 7
No problem...my pleasure! :D

OK, well you are bang up  to date re. WSA and v33 of Chrome is pretty mainstream (I must have imagined v35...doh!)

Well, let's see what wisdom Nic can bring to the proceedings...he is quickly getting a reputation for pulling the bunny from the top hat...in IT terms. ;)
Userlevel 3
I do understand that...as well as some of the problems with testing in general. It just worries me that I don't have the extension at all much more than I worry about the testing site. If it was set up correctly, I'd be fine with it, regardless of what the testing site said; it's just that Chrome doesn't have the extension it needs at all. I may not understand enough to even intelligently discuss it, but I do know, that for whatever reason, mine does not configure with the extension in Chrome as the others have, and that just suggests a problem to me. So much so, that I'm trying to change everything over to Firefox to accommodate.

If everyone is satisfied that it's not a problem, that's fine. We can stop here. I do appreciate everyone's efforts however.

Thanks,

Bob
Userlevel 7
Hi Nic,

I think that the salient fact is that for some reason liontamer does not appear to be receiving the expected Chrome-related folders, and the .crx files therein, that I can see/have under programdatawrdatapkg on my system.  

If he had then he could manually install the Filtering extension by dragging into the Chrome Add on Manager page in the browser (that is how I finally got mine to install in the portable version of Chrome).

What baffles me is the lack of a key fold & extension on TWO of his systems?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Are you talking about the Webroot Reputation Toolbar?  It might be installed but have to be activated manually.  Check your extenstions settings.
Userlevel 3
No...the extension itself is not in the settings of Chrome. It never gets installed for me to activate it. Webroot does work on the test site in either firefox or IE 11 desktop btw. It's just Chrome that is not working on either machine and doesn't have the extension available to do so. Without that extension, I don't see how it's going to do anything with phishing sites beyond what the browser may do.
Userlevel 7
Hi Nic, understand that you are coming in cold here and the thread is long...so take a look at and around this previous post from the thread:

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/How-Well-is-Your-System-Protected-Five-Simple-Test-from-AMTSO/m-p/86616#M687

Daniel has done his usual sterling job of illustrating the issue.

Hope that clarifies the issue that liontamer has?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
WSA does protect you against phishing.  The toolbar just gives you a reputation score for the website from our database.  You can install it manually from here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi Nic, understand that you are coming in cold here and the thread is long...so take a look at and around this previous post from the thread:

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/How-Well-is-Your-System-Protected-Five-Simple-Test-from-AMTSO/m-p/86616#M687

Daniel has done his usual sterling job of illustrating the issue.

Hope that clarifies the issue that liontamer has?

Regards

Baldrick
Sorry, I am coming in cold so I might be rehashing stuff you've already gone over 🙂
Userlevel 3
Not sure I understand. I wasn't looking for or expecting a toolbar...just an extension that would enable Webroot in Chrome itself. I think Baldrick explained it much better than I could, and I apologize for that and thank Baldrick for the info!

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
No problem - hope I haven't added any more confusion to the mix 🙂
Userlevel 7
No problem, Nic...much appreicate your stepping up to the plate 😃, especially as it is late this side of the Pond and I must shortly bow out for today...due to work tomorrow. :(

liontamer, apologies for having to leave mid flight but I will try to catch up on where you are re. the issue and continue should Nic have not managed to weave that good ol' magic of his. ;)

Regards to you both

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Not at all...I just don't know enough about the product to be able to provide the type of info you need.

I'm taking up too much of everyone's time, and am about to let it go anyway. It's just one of those things that will iron out, one way or another. I'd hoped the info was something that would help others, but I think I may be alone on this one.

Thanks
Userlevel 3
Thanks for your help as always Baldrick...you've been great as always!
Userlevel 7
liontamer, you may not have know much about the product a few days ago, but I bet that you know more now as a result of this thread, eh?   So a result...of sorts? ;)

If you feel that you want to drop this for the moment well that is entirely your prerogative, and we will respect that, of course...but never think that you are "taking up too much of everyone's time".   Helping users with issues is one of the key reasons for the Community being here and why us volunteers...well, volunteer. :D

Perhaps give it a break for a few days and then go back to basic/start again with an uninstall of WSA, and before you reinstall we try to check out and make sure that all leftovers are eradicated from your system, before you carry out a fresh install and reboot.  I have reference to a thread (somewhere) where Daniel has advised on where to look find potential left overs after an uninstall.  I will see if I can find it for you.

So just post back when you feel like having another go as per my suggestion above.  If that will help.

And by the way, even without the Web Threat Shield/Filtering extension, you are very well protected from malware by all the other modules that WSA is running...so no worries there. :D

All the best...until whenever you are ready

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 3
Excellent advice...and I'll take you up on it. I'll check back in from time to time, and let you know if anything changes.

Good to know I'm still protected even without that extension, for sure. Have a good night...and thanks!

Bob
Userlevel 7
My pleasure, Bob.  Any time. ;)

As I said, will wait to hear back from you.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi Bob,

One thing I can suggest is to install Revo Uninstaller Pro Trial because it's the only one that will work on 64bit and Uninstall WSA with Revo Pro in Advance mode and delete everything that comes up then REBOOT and reinstall WSA let it finish it's install scan and REBOOT once again and check to see if the Extension installed in Chrome and if not check WRData to see if you have the Chrome Folder and Extension as well and let us know! Also remember to have a copy of your keycode before doing so! Just in case here is the download link again http://anywhere.webrootcloudav.com/zerol/wsainstall.exe for a new installer. Also we will see if @ has something he can add!

Thanks,

TH