installing on a computer that is already infected and can not get on the internet

• 19 March 2014
  • 7 replies

First let me say that I am new to the webroot program and not very skilled in computers.... I recently purchased webroot and installed it on a working HP computer.... that instalation and update went fine.  I then tried installing it on another computer that is infected and not running well... infact it is not able to get on the internet at this time.  So I cant get the updated files to get rid of the vires that is causing the issue.  Is there any way to get the full updated version of this program on a thumb drive and try installing it from that?  Any other suggestions that would help me would be greatfully appreated.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The way Webroot works is to send all the file data up to the cloud for analysis, so it isn't like you can download virus definitions onto a thumb drive and run it that way.  Our support team will help you remove viruses though, so you can contact them here.  They should be able to help you get that machine cleaned up and then get the software installed so you don't get any more infections.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello sniperjim1 and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

The best thing to do is Call Support and ask for help but note there is no guarantee that they will be able to help you but lets hope for the best because we don't know how bad the infection is! Also do you have a Back Up Hard Drive or Dock you can take the hard drive out and scan it with WSA on the clean computer if that's not possible just contact Support.

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 4
I personally would format the computer or restore back the recovery image. Reason being, even though WSA might be able to remove all the viruses currently at hand. Who knows what harm those viruses previously did to the operating system? maybe modified other files, settings, etc.
It is best to have a clean start, then install Webroot, then be safe for good :)

just my 2 cents worth.

PS: Always backup your data before you do that tough to an external HDD
Userlevel 7
The PC really needs to be online for WSA to be fully effective. What is stopping it from getting online? Myself or one of my colleagues can clean the PC but again it will need to be online for us to remote to it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Tried? Repair your network connection

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello @  do you need further help with this issue?

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Dermot7 , great informative links...comes in handy so I've bookmarked them.
Info is key!!!

Sherry