Malware that launches copies of already running Applications

• 26 March 2014
  • 2 replies

I seems I have a virus or other malware that is executing additional copies of already running applications.

Looking at Task Manager, I have 10 to 15 instances of the same process over and over....

• SOMETIMES, the 2nd copy will show up IMMEDIATELY upon launching one of these applications
  • SOMETIMES it takes a while,
  • on average about 1 new copy of the application launches by itself (while the computer is unattended) per hour
Currently, it seems to be mostly NET compiled applications, though not exclusively

The 2nd,3rd, etc... instances usually have a smaller footprint, and don't seem to be FULLY launching
  • They take little ram
  • They take no cpu
  • They do not show up in the Applications Tab of Task manager, ONLY the Processes Tab

I have even seen a copy launch with applications I am developing, and it launches BEFORE the Main[] execution point hits in the application....

WebRoot does not indicate ANY issues... so this may be a new virus

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello ERobishaw and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

Maybe not but to be sure can you please Submit a Support Ticket so that they can look at your scan log and they will let you know what's going on!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
For now can you look here to see if any processes are being Monitored? http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C10_SystemControl/CH10b_ControllingProcesses.htm

Thanks,

Daniel