Solved

Newbie/ Betting a simple answer to my question...But will help me decide if I should keep WEBROOT

Userlevel 3
A few months back ,bought my first laptop (A  U530 Lenovo from best buy).

Came with 1 year of WEBROOT.

SHORT HISTORY....This is my second computer---
First was a DELL DESKTOP/year 2000.....
Loved that DELL, in it's day, was Considered a serious set up.
This new laptop.....makes that DELL look like a 10 dollar calculator! lol
13 years with that DELL.....dealt with NORTON, MACEFFEE,AVAST AVG---ANTI-VIRUS PROGRMS....

Now I got this new laptop, and betting   WEBROOT BLOWS AWAY the previously listed anti-virus programs.

When I open  Webroot,
I see the way to change options, I can click on a SCAN NOW........

But ,  THE QUESTION....
HOW DO I UPDATE(not set update times,but UPDATE with a click?)
HOW DO I SEE THAT  The computer ever UPDATED?

After owning this laptop for months,no Idea if WEBROOT ever updated........Prolly did,,but no idea how to tell?
AVAST and AVG always gave the option to "UPDATE NOW"

Thinking so far  WEBROOT might be  the first antivirus willing to pay for.......
But not if I can't tell if it updates!........;)

icon

Best answer by ams963 26 July 2014, 04:06

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Welcome to the community Tracer!

Here's how you check for updates:
Open up Webroot, click the gear symbol to the right of My Account, then click on About SecureAnywhere.  You'll see the version listed (8.0.4.104 is the most recent) and there will be a Check for software updates button that you can click on.

Webroot generally updates silently in the background, which is why you generally won't be notified unless you go looking for that setting.

Hope that helps!
Userlevel 7
Hi Tracer

Welcome to the Community Forums.

For completeness I should also add that you can initiate a check for updates by righth clicking on the notification area icon and selecting 'Check for updates' from the context menu displayed.

But as Nic quite rightly says...in most cases...you will be silently (and spookily) updated and will just find that you are using the latest version.  Smoothest updates of any security app bar none. ;)

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Tracer and Welcome to the Webroot Community.

I hope your not looking for Definition updates because there are none just Program updates as the Cloud does all the work and it's Mighty and not your PC so you can use your PC what it was made for running Programs and Games! Also if your looking for Program Updates just Subscribe to this Forum: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Release-Notes/bd-p/ReleaseNotesWSA

Thanks,

Daniel :D

Userlevel 7
Welcome to the community Tracer!

Great to have you here!
 Your bet "WEBROOT BLOWS AWAY the previously listed anti-virus programs."  - it is a sure win!

Well, I see several answer to your questions, but I did want to welcome you. This is a great community!

There are other benefits that do come with your Webroot Secure Anywhere and that is the Webroot Team including and not limited to the top notch Webroot Tech Support who is available to assist you in addition to Best Buy's Geek Squad!

And the Webroot Community is the best forum on the web. The member are very friendly. They are knowledgeable as well and happy to help you. You will also find a vast amount of information here.

So  make yourself at home, browse around and come often and share your experiences!

See you around in the community!

Beth         

Userlevel 7
Hello Tracer. Welcome to the community.

WSA updates both itself and the definition automatically. You don't need to do anything. Just sit back, relax and enjoy your new laptop. WSA will take care of the security and itself.;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:

WSA updates both itself and the definition automatically. You don't need to do anything. Just sit back, relax and enjoy your new laptop. WSA will take care of the security and itself.;)

Hey buddy there are no definitions it's all in the Cloud unless your PC can Hold 150TBs + info?

Daniel :p

Also if you call these little wee db files definitions I think not in the sense of real Definitions are hundreds of MB's. LOL

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
A few months back ,bought my first laptop (A  U530 Lenovo from best buy).

Came with 1 year of WEBROOT.

SHORT HISTORY....This is my second computer---
First was a DELL DESKTOP/year 2000.....
Loved that DELL, in it's day, was Considered a serious set up.
This new laptop.....makes that DELL look like a 10 dollar calculator! lol
13 years with that DELL.....dealt with NORTON, MACEFFEE,AVAST AVG---ANTI-VIRUS PROGRMS....

Now I got this new laptop, and betting   WEBROOT BLOWS AWAY the previously listed anti-virus programs.

When I open  Webroot,
I see the way to change options, I can click on a SCAN NOW........

But ,  THE QUESTION....
HOW DO I UPDATE(not set update times,but UPDATE with a click?)
HOW DO I SEE THAT  The computer ever UPDATED?

After owning this laptop for months,no Idea if WEBROOT ever updated........Prolly did,,but no idea how to tell?
AVAST and AVG always gave the option to "UPDATE NOW"

If ya FLAT OUT  100%  KNOW THE ANSWER,
Email me at    TRACER-0691@outlook.com.

Thinking so far  WEBROOT might be  the first antivirus willing to pay for.......
But not if I can't tell if it updates!........;)

Hello and Welcome to the WSA Community Forum Tracer! Great ti see you are getting alot of help here.

Make sure you come back and visit or just to look around!!

Have a great weekend!!:D
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Hey buddy there are no definitions it's all in the Cloud unless your PC can Hold 150TBs + info?

Daniel :p

Also if you call these little wee db files definitions I think not in the sense of real Definitions are hundreds of MB's. LOL

I know but it's easier to explain this way to people new to WSA and the cloud. They're used to traditional definitions and we have to explain the cloud part by part. Otherwise some may go like what no definition? All the other top players got definitions. Why not WSA? Cloud is not safe.

My comment was technically wrong. I was just trying to make the new user understand and feel safe about WSA. But you're right. I should have said there' no need to update definitions because there is none. WSA is a cloud AV.:)
Userlevel 3
Wow a ton of great responses, I FAVORITED this thread so that I can Go back and learn from all that posted here...THANKS.

Nic,
Yer post got me to  a ...."YER WEBROOT IS UPDATED"   window........
Hoping true....Zero details.

You listed 8.0.4.104----now seeing  8.0.4.115.......Guessing higher number is new update.

A Few questions.. {apologize if simple, trying to catch up)

When I first turn on this laptop,then log in......a WEBROOT window pops up,then fades out within 10 seconds...
Is this webroot telling me it "UPDATED" ?

In this thread ,told no definition list.........Are you reffering to picking and choosing what security downloads ya want?
Cause if true, I would bet WEBROOT chooses better.

How do I get WEBROOT to give me the WINNING LOTTO NUMBERS????
Seriously,
Both the fact the "help" seemed to answer my first question......
.And the very nice,inviting responses I recieved to my origional post.....

I plan on surfing this site ALOT MORE,  to learn more about WEBROOT....

I got 224 days left on subscription,I would love to find out  I should stay with WEBROOT for years!

Userlevel 3

Hi!        I hope this will help you with questions you may have about WRSA!  The window that pops up when your computer is booted is telling you the current status of Webroot Secure Anywhere and what all security features that it is using to protect your computer!  If you want to check for updates - you can right-click on the W icon located down on the system tray and it will inform you that it checks for updates automatically when ever there is a new version available!                Hope that helps!                  

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

[quote][user=20660][/user] wrote: Hi!        I hope this will help you with questions you may have about WRSA!  The window that pops up when your computer is booted is telling you the current status of Webroot Secure Anywhere and what all security features that it is using to protect your computer!  If you want to check for updates - you can right-click on the W icon located down on the system tray and it will inform you that it checks for updates automatically when ever there is a new version available!                Hope that helps!                    [/quote]Hello nerf8cnt4856,   Great and thanks for the help! I do believe that this will help others out!!:D   [img]https://d1qy7qyune0vt1.cloudfront.net/webroot-en/attachment/14137iD6F079E09F2D2F75.png[/img]

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Wow a ton of great responses, I FAVORITED this thread so that I can Go back and learn from all that posted here...THANKS.

Nic,
Yer post got me to  a ...."YER WEBROOT IS UPDATED"   window........
Hoping true....Zero details.

You listed 8.0.4.104----now seeing  8.0.4.115.......Guessing higher number is new update.

A Few questions.. {apologize if simple, trying to catch up)

When I first turn on this laptop,then log in......a WEBROOT window pops up,then fades out within 10 seconds...
Is this webroot telling me it "UPDATED" ?

In this thread ,told no definition list.........Are you reffering to picking and choosing what security downloads ya want?

Seriously,
Both the fact the "help" seemed to answer my first question......
.And the very nice,inviting responses I recieved to my origional post.....

I plan on surfing this site ALOT MORE,  to learn more about WEBROOT....

I got 224 days left on subscription,I would love to find out  I should stay with WEBROOT for years!

Hello Tracer,

Yes thats the latest update for WSA... 8.0.4.115. and your other question is..#2

We don't have a definition posting list.. for its all done in the Cloud as shown from TripHelix in this earlier thread.And no we do not choose what security downloads we want. Is this what you meant?

Your other question was :

Well we'd all be rich if WSA could do this for us!

Yes I'm very happy that you are researching and reading all the Great information that this Forum site has to offer.
We are all Happy Volunteers that will aide and assist with whatever issies that our members have with WSA.

Have a wonderful Friday by the way!! Great to have you here posting!!

Salute"

Userlevel 7

[quote][user=20660][/user] wrote: Hi!        I hope this will help you with questions you may have about WRSA!  The window that pops up when your computer is booted is telling you the current status of Webroot Secure Anywhere and what all security features that it is using to protect your computer!  If you want to check for updates - you can right-click on the W icon located down on the system tray and it will inform you that it checks for updates automatically when ever there is a new version available!                Hope that helps!                    [/quote]Thank you for your feedback!   Beth

Userlevel 7
@ 
Yes higher number is new update. 8.0.4.115 is the latest program update. You can follow latest program update here https://community.webroot.com/t5/Release-Notes/bd-p/ReleaseNotesWSA

WSA updates itself automatically with the latest program update. If you do not want to wait and want to update WSA as soon an update is released, you can manually download from Webroot Account Console. If you haven't created an account there yet, open it right away. The Console will offer abundances of features.:)

The questions

It's just a splash screen assuring you that WSA is working correctly and is protecting your device. A nice way of saying you don't have to worry about threats.:)

It means WSA doesn't download definitions in your computer/device. The definitions are stored up in the cloud. That is servers of Webroot. When the pc is connected to the internet, WSA on the pc is connected to the cloud. It means no waiting for the definitions to finish downloading to detect and protect against malware. WSA instantly blocks and detects malware as it's connected to the cloud. The definitions on the cloud is continuously being updated against the very latest threats by the world class team of very experienced and brilliant threat researchers. So you don't have to worry.;)

I hope to see you more in the Community.:)

Userlevel 3

ORIGIONAL POSTER ---TRACER HERE.

Uber thanks to all of you,.......

EVERY QUESTION I ASKED WAS ANSWERED WELL!  :D

ALL ADVICE WORKED!.....and was well explained......

I am sure I will have more questions later.

I have 214 days left on my subscription..........
And I need to learn ALOT more about webroot......

But this  thread,yer help/and advice that worked...........
Is a good start for me to actually PAY CASH for a good anti-virus program......
(Used AVG, or AVAST for the last decade plus, cause both free and good results.)

So far, IMPRESSED with WEBROOT RESULTS!   ;)

Tracer

P.S.

Also impressed  with the posters ,

Thanks again!

;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:

ORIGIONAL POSTER ---TRACER HERE.

Uber thanks to all of you,.......

EVERY QUESTION I ASKED WAS ANSWERED WELL!  :D

ALL ADVICE WORKED!.....and was well explained......

I am sure I will have more questions later.

I have 214 days left on my subscription..........
And I need to learn ALOT more about webroot......

But this  thread,yer help/and advice that worked...........
Is a good start for me to actually PAY CASH for a good anti-virus program......
(Used AVG, or AVAST for the last decade plus, cause both free and good results.)

So far, IMPRESSED with WEBROOT RESULTS!   ;)

Tracer

Great Tracer!
We love the positive feedback and you are in the right place to learn and ask questions & learn like we all do here in this Forum! You are using the best AV out there on the market!:D

So elated to have you here!! 
Userlevel 3

Lmao….

Posting on a thread I started  9 years ago?….feels longer   lol

All advice helped….😃 learned some  stuff  from yer posts!

But ….a SMALL amount  of bad stuff slipped through.

My self taught  home ,computer  skills have increased ALOT in 9-10 years.

Found out no anti-virus is 100% effective.

Researched a ton of reviews of WEBROOT on other sites, overall rating hit 91-93%.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Bought a new Lenovo laptop last month.

Had it upgraded before delivered,

FIRST MOVE, uninstall Macefee…..install Webroot.

WEBROOT , never perfect , but overall seemed to work fine.

NEW LAPTOP……..TIME WILL TELL.   ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Wow I can’t believe you found this thread and updated it - I only had one kid back then.

Glad you still enjoy Webroot