Question about off-line shield

• 8 April 2016
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi,

I got Webroot AV for 5 PC's and run into my first question for which I cannot seem to find a clear answer here.

When I install WSA on a PC and check the shields and firewalls, everything (all shields) is turned on. If I look at the web console I see the PC's I installed as being user-configured.

As soon as I select 'Medium Protection' as security setting, (switching from user configuration) the offline shield is turned off on the PC.

My questions: Why is that? What is offline security?

Thanks,

Paul

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Paul,

I would leave that setting at User Configuration in the Online Console then on the Webroot program on your computer you can set the settings as you like but in most cases it is recommended to use in default configuration.

? could you add more to this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great Question!

See these for more info:

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Fast-Scans-When-Offline-How/ta-p/20328

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/How-do-the-shields-work/ta-p/59483

Also when Offline WSA limits the actions of the new Process until it can check with the Cloud when you go back online to see if it's good or bad and there are many levels of Monitoring so it depends on the Behaviour as well. Very Smart stuff.

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thanks Daniel for the assistance again!:D

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I was in the middle of replying before you asked so it helped and your Welcome Sherry!

Daniel 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
So nice to have Teamwork! 😃
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
HI,

Thanks for the answers, they help a little.

I still do not understand why the 'recommended' settings in the Web console (medium) would override the offline shield. I assume that if WSA is unable to verify an unknown process (due to being off-line or a failing server somewhere) it handles that process as 'suspect' and monitors its behavior until it can verify.

Is that what you switch on and off with the offline shield? But why would you do that? Seems like a feature that needs to be always on. And why does the web console cancel it out then? Or is offline shield something else altogether?

I did figure out that by selecting 'user configuration' I can set the feature on every PC but that goes against this other great feature of Webroot: central monitoring. It beats doing this manually on 5 PC's every time :-)

Kind regards,

Paul
Userlevel 7
Hi Paulussie

That is a very good question; my interpretation of this would be that the Offline Shield catches when WSA is disconnected from the Internet and switches the heuristic levels up to make that element of WSA's armoury more prevalent. I do not see why the 'Monitoring' feature would be turned off in this circumstance and therefore I do not believe that it is.

Perhaps @ could ask the question internally for us, for the official line?

Regards, Baldrick 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
For me I just leave it at User Configuration on the Online Console which would make this issue moot.

Daniel 😉