Solved

Something called Support LogMeInRescue?

• 24 May 2014
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Earlier in the week I had to put Webroot on my laptop due to BestBuy not supporting Norton (previous posts sort of give background).  To do the download I have to give Geeksquad permission to remotely access my laptop to download Webroot.  NOW is see in my downloads something called "Support LogMeInRescue.  Is this connected with their remote access to my laptop?  Do I really need it on my computer....I don't even know what it is, ordered it, or anything!
icon

Best answer by jpasternak 25 May 2014, 00:46

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello there!

That is quite legitmate: that is the program Geek Squad uses for the remote sessions, such as they did with you.  You do not have to keep it.  It is quite safe to remove it.  If you have another remote session with Geek Squad they will redownload to your computer at that time.

Don't worry about it being harmful or malware.  :-) 

EDIT

I am going to go out on limb here and mark this solved.  If you have any questions or issues please let us know.  If you disagree with me, either you or I can unmark this solution.

/EDIT
Userlevel 7
In case you are worried about leaving it on the computer... worry not.  Remember that 6 digit code you had to enter to get the remote session started?  It expires after 30 minutes.  The LMI download on your computer is safe and cannot be used for someone trying to access it without your knowledge.
Userlevel 7
Yup.  What David said is true.  We use LogMeIn Rescue at work.  You can leave it, or uninstall it; the choice is yours.

— Jeff
Userlevel 1
Feel better knowing what really is going on.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Yup.  What David said is true.  We use LogMeIn Rescue at work.  You can leave it, or uninstall it; the choice is yours.

— Jeff
Thank you very much Jeff!

In something like this, a confirmation is extremely helpful to help reassure things!

EDIT

I gave Jeff a 'second solution'.  In my opinion, with the huge attention placed here in the Community regarding trojans and other hacks (Obviously LOL), a second reference to the use and safety of authentic LMI software is extremely valuable and worthy of a second solution credit.

/EDIT