Solved

WebRoot Hot Air?

• 23 June 2014
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
I don't think my basic Webroot protection is working at all.  When I first installed it, it immediately found two serious viruses and eliminated them.  Now, after 152 scans it has yet to find another virus!!!  Isn't that strange?  Especially strange because my computer is once again loaded down with poor operformance, seems to have been taken over as my hard drive runs back and forth constantly, even when i am dormant at the keys and on my opening website only.  Startup is hit and miss...have to keep hitting ENTER......lots of interference...Webroot seems to have sold me a load of hot air.
icon

Best answer by Rakanisheu Retired 23 June 2014, 10:09

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Webroot`s first job is to stop malware from even getting to your PC.My Webroot on my home PC hasnt removed a single piece of malware in over a year.

Put it another way If your healthy you wouldnt go to your doctor and complain that he hasnt done anything for you in ages!

But its not a system tune up program its not designed to speed up your PC. If your having system performance issues there are a number of steps you can take.

1) Un-install unwanted programs
2) Run a cleanup of temp files (use the windows disk clean along with something like Ccleaner)
3) Do a disk defrag
4) Clean up your desktop
5) Remove unwanted browser add-ons
Userlevel 7
Hi owlafaye, and welcome to the Webroot Community!
@ wrote:
Webroot`s first job is to stop malware from even getting to your PC.My Webroot on my home PC hasnt removed a single piece of malware in over a year.

Put it another way If your healthy you wouldnt go to your doctor and complain that he hasnt done anything for you in ages!

But its not a system tune up program its not designed to speed up your PC. If your having system performance issues there are a number of steps you can take.

As @  mentioned, although I've only been using Webroot for a few months now, it has run 91 scans and only found and removed two (2) threats.  Also -- and this is purely my own opinion -- when I first installed Webroot, I ran a full scan of my PC.

Once that baseline was established again to quote Rakanisheu "Webroot's first job is to stop malware from even getting to your PC". With the Realtime Shield and Web Shield turned on, the odds of something getting through and on to my PC are minimal.

I would follow those five (5) steps that are outlined above.  I personally would also run the System Optimizer utitlity first and then do as suggested.

Hope that helps.  Let us know if you encounter any other problems.
Userlevel 1
OK..I will take steps as I can...I don't open e-mails not recognized nor do I have any add-ons and there are no extraneous programs needing removal.  I am a minimalist as to computer usage and mostly cruise the web for comment sites that interest me, news, weather, Yahoo maps, e-mail etc...mostly mundane use.

I very likely have had someone take over my computer and is using it in one of those plots where they invade thousands of computers to use their processing power.  My hard drive runs loudly and frantically all the time.  My speed and response times have fallen off and it is difficult to call up websites.  The computer often refuses to start up...it is about one year old.
Userlevel 7
I reccomend that you submit a Trouble Ticket.  There are a number of programs that are NOT malware, yet are not desired either.  WSA catches a lot of them, but not all, but Webroot Support most certainly is able to help identify and remove any such items on your computer.

(We call them PUA's here on the Community).
Userlevel 7
Hi owlafaye

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Sorry to hear of your issues.  I too agree with Roy in terms of his 5 steps to attempt as a first step.

Do you download any software and if so do you get it from 3rd party sites or directly from the app's producer?  That is important as a number of 3rd party sites are known purveyors of PUAs/PUPs or Potentially Unwanted Applications which can in some cases piggy back the legit software and serruptiously instal themselves on your system, causing strange behaviour and slow down, etc.  If you feel technically compotent we can provide a guide to their removal or you can contact Webroot SUpport for them to have a look at your system a try to deal with them.

If you have a doubt about what is being detected or not detected by WSA you can also try to run an on demand scan from a number of reputable sites, i.e., other security apps providers, to get a second opinion.  Having said that I like Jeff & Roy have not had a virus detected for a number of years whilst using WSA.

Do let us know how you get on re. the advice given and do come back here if you have further questions to ask.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
I can connect to your PC but I highly doubt your PC is part of a zombie bot network. Your PC not starting up wouldnt be malware related. Bricking your PC means that the malware authors cant get your money so its not a good idea for them to do that.