Solved

Webroot not blocking some phishing sites

• 9 August 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Just went to Phishtank.com to test some phishing protection out with WSA and noticed after testing about 20 working sites, webroot didn't block one site. Google's phishing protection blocked about 70% of them. I bypassed Google's protection and the site loaded with no block from WSA. Do you think they are just not in the blacklist yet or do I need a chrome addon? Just making sure I'm not doing something wrong.

Windows 8.1
Up-to-date WSA antivirus
Newest chrome w/ Adblock
Phishing Shield is 'ON'
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 9 August 2014, 09:33

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi mar122999

It sounds to me like you need to go and refresh the copy of the Filtering Extension that you have installed for Chrome, due to a change in Google's policy it no longer recognises addons that are not installed from the store, which has been the case with the Threat Filtering addon from Webroot.

So, to do that I am going to sugges that you try the standard method (as described by Beth) go to the Chrome Extensions page (SettingsToolsExtensions from the top righthand corner of the browser, just in case you did not know...;)).  Scroll down the list until you find 'Webroot Filtering Extension', which should be checked as 'Enabled' and then click on the 'Visit website' option against that item, and if this works for you then it should take you to the Store and present you with option to 'Added to Chrome' (on which clicking does nothing as it is already installed).

So her is what you do...leave the current webpage open so you have the Filtering Extension download option open you repeat what you did to get there, i.e., go to the Chrome Extensions page, scroll down the list until you find 'Webroot Filtering Extension' and this time DELETE it by clikcing on the TrashCan symbol to the right.

Then go back to the webpage that you left open on the Google store and you should fine that in the top righthand corner what said previously 'Added to Chrome' now says 'Free' and you can click on it.  If you do the extension will be reinstalled for you and this time, because it has been downloaded from the Google Store it should function normally.

Try that and see if when you retest against the sites that where previously not being detected you get a more expected response.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Thank you Baldrick!
This will take you to the post with the images.
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/No-Green-Checks-next-to-websites-on-google-bing-searches-on/m-p/137107#M8084

Beth
Userlevel 7
Thank you, Beth!

In this case I preferred to describe the method rather than use images...so as to amke sure that I had reported it accurately, given that it does not work for all users...;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
your welcome my friend!