Solved

Where is my console ?

• 21 October 2015
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1
This may seem a strange question, but when I log in to my.webrootanywhere.com I don't see anything resembling a console.  It has been a good while since I had to look at it/find it and at the moment my head is hurting from trying to set up a new Win 8.1 laptop which needs 153 updates before I can even start thinking of updating to Win 10.

All I see are boxes which invite me to buy things and lead on to marketing info.  What I want to do is add a third machine, the new laptop, to my console, though there may be a problem with that as the last time I looked it listed 3 machines, one of which was anonymous - I suspect the blank line relates to the original installation and when I added the details to it, I managed to create a new record rather than amending the existing one - but that's just a guess.  Before I can sort that out, I need to find the console.

Use the "Access Web Console" link in Webroot, you may well say.  Tried that, it wants me to create an account, with no option to say "But I already have one.  I logged into it half an hour ago."

I have probably missed something obvious and am feeling very stupid :(

Thanks

Caravelle
icon

Best answer by shorTcircuiT 23 October 2015, 01:34

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Caravelle

Well, I have tried clicking the link that you have supplied in your post and I get to the expected console login screen...I presume that you do not even get there?

Would you be able to take screen shot of what clicking on that link takes you/the page that is displayed? Also, are you getting any other instances of 'redirects' when trying to access any other web sites, or is it just the web console one?

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 1
I should be able to do that tomorrow, and hopefully you will come up with a cunning plan...  

At the moment I'm just a bit tangled in the throes of making the new Win 8.1 behave.   Struggling to remove Mc**ee for example.  I've uninstalled it twice now, it keeps coming back.    I've detested that program and all who sail in it ever since it ruined my very first PC many many years ago, and I'd even paid full price for it.  It's a swear-word around here :D  One of the reasons I don't go for the big names in AV software.  Webroot is fast and remarkably unobtrusive, just the way I like it.

I might also try taking a look at my wife's computer and seeing if the Webroot installation on that will get me to my Console.  I wonder if it's possible that my software key has changed, somehow I have got a new one during an upgrade ?  That would explain why the link from within the program on my Webrooted PC takes me to somewhere which thinks I need to create an account ?

The link I gave came straight from one of your help pages...

Caravelle
Userlevel 7
Do you have a link to the McAfee removal tool?  McAfee is notorious for refusing to come out nicely.   You can find a link to it here  https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie-KB/3rd-Party-Software-Removal-Tools/ta-p/204388
Userlevel 7
Hi Caravelle

OK, I will look out for your update then and see what we can do. ;)

I think that David has you covered re. the McAfee issue...that is good advice.

When you call up the console using the link you posted from whatever PC it is user independant so you should be able to access your console from there and if you cannot then it woulkd definitively point to an issue in the back offic/with your credentials or key...so what you are planning will be a useful pointer.

Let us know what you get when you try on the other PC.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Thanks, and thanks to David too for the link:  searching for something like that was on my ever-growing to-do list :D

Caravelle
Userlevel 1
Here we go, when I click the link in my first post it takes me to "https://my.webrootanywhere.com/default.aspx" where I am invited to log in (Webroot login.jpg)

It correctly shows my email address (obliterated) and identifies the Sony desktop PC I am using, called "Sony". Is this the console ? If so I'm sure it looks different from the one I used to use (but then so does everything these days).

Then I click the drop-down box by my email address and click settings, I get Webroot account settings.jpg.  

showing two users, of which I have admin permissions. When I get to "Manage Keycode" (which is not something I tried before as I had no idea my keycode needed managing) I discover Webroot keycodes.jpg.  

Expired ? Doubtless the accountants at Webroot have a full record but I really don't recall my Webroot actually expiring or needing to be re-bought with a new keycode. How did that happen ? Was I away on holiday and came back to find that it had expired while I was away, and then forgot all about it ? Answers on a postcard with a donation to your favourite Alzheimer's charity please. Note that the old keycode refers to three users when, as I explained there were only ever two.

So I took a deep breath and clicked the Add Product Keycode button, typed in the keycode shown in the current installations we are using, and it was identified and accepted. It still says it is used on three devices though. Who are these people ? Back to Manage Users, it still lists only two people. That would imply that one of us has it installed on more than one machine. Not so, my wife only has the one laptop and while I have a collection of dead and dying XP/Vista laptops, I'm quite (well fairly) sure that I never installed Webroot on any of them. Those were the AVG days. I've checked the barely alive machines, obviously I can't check the dead ones.

Having to think this hard <and> breathe is making my head hurt but I've had an idea: when the keycode is recorded with 3 users, does it actually mean that it has 3 users, or does it mean that it is allowed up to three users - in which case I can install Webroot on my new laptop as the third user under the active keycode ?

I hope that was an entertaining read. McAfee seems to be lying low on the new laptop, two goes at "right click - Uninstall" on the icons on the start screen and one on the desktop didn't kill it (maybe that just uninstalls the links ?), then I discovered that Control Panel still showed it as installed, so I uninstalled it that way. It took a remarkably long time but seemed to work - I'll be keeping my eye on it though. Toshiba should be ashamed of themselves for forcing it on me.
Thanks for your patience.

Caravelle
Userlevel 7
Hello there!  I believe ? is most likely at work still, so I will 'fill in' for the moment.

You are indeed in the Console!

In the Manage Key Codes section, the Devices column is not how many devices are currently using WSA, it is how many devices are ALLOWED to use WSA under that key code.  

Also, note there is a difference between devices and users.  In your case, on a 3 device license, you CAN have up to three users each having it on thier own device, but you also can have just one user and be using it on a desktop, a laptop and a another device.  
To see exacly how many devices WSA is actually installed on, you would check in PC Security and Mobile Security. Each device that WSA is currently installed on using your key code will be listed there.

I am not able to determine when the key code expired, how long it has been expired.  You can contact Support or Sales and they should be able to provide you that information.

I hope this helps a bit?  Let me know if I can clarify anything, and I will do my best, 
Userlevel 1
Many thanks - that's good news.

>>In the Manage Key Codes section, the Devices column is not how many devices are currently using WSA, it is how many devices are ALLOWED to use WSA under that key code<<  

I wish I'd worked that out long ago.  Maybe those who design the site would consider changing this to something like "3 - 1 available" or "3 - 2 in use" or adding a note leading us to the bottom of the page where it would say "This number is the number of instances of Webroot allowed under your subscription, to see which devices are using them, etc etc" or something like that.  It is so easy to misinterpret simple things when there is no explanation.

>>To see exacly how many devices WSA is actually installed on, you would check in PC Security and Mobile Security. Each device that WSA is currently installed on using your key code will be listed there<<

Oh dear. You'll love this.  We don't have any mobile devices using Webroot.  Under PC Security, only one is listed, "Sony" alongside a blank box to add another.  Does this mean my wife has been operating under the radar ?  Webroot must think she is sharing my Sony as a different user from me.  I guess I'll have to add her laptop, and hopefully it will also let me add my new laptop.  So long as we don't exceed 3 machines between the pair of us, no-one cares who is using what machine

>>I am not able to determine when the key code expired, how long it has been expired.  You can contact Support or Sales and they should be able to provide you that information<<

To be honest, I don't care, so long as it works now.   If I worried about everything I can't remember I'd never get anything done.

>>I hope this helps a bit?<<

Yes thanks.  I'll report back in a couple of days when my new laptop has been converted to Win 10, Webroot installed and (fingers crossed) everything sorted out properly.  Hopefully Mr Baldrick can go back to browsing his turnip collection in peace.   

All the best

Caravelle

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Many thanks - that's good news.

>>To see exacly how many devices WSA is actually installed on, you would check in PC Security and Mobile Security. Each device that WSA is currently installed on using your key code will be listed there<<

Oh dear. You'll love this.  We don't have any mobile devices using Webroot.  Under PC Security, only one is listed, "Sony" alongside a blank box to add another.  Does this mean my wife has been operating under the radar ?  Webroot must think she is sharing my Sony as a different user from me.  I guess I'll have to add her laptop, and hopefully it will also let me add my new laptop.  So long as we don't exceed 3 machines between the pair of us, no-one cares who is using what machine

All the best

Caravelle

In regards to the number of devices shown in PC Security, if you had uninstalled WSA from the wife's computer and not re-installed it yet, OR it was installed just a short time (within 20 minutes) of checking the Console, it would not show yet.  WSA automatically removes devices from the Console if WSA is uninstalled while the device is online.

Just trying to guess as to why her computer was not listed.. there are other possibilities too I think 🙂
Userlevel 1
>>Just trying to guess as to why her computer was not listed.<<

Lord knows, we have never shared computers, and she used free AVG until about last Christmas when Santa brought her a new Win 8.1 laptop and I insisted she used an AV program that (a) she wouldn't keep complaining about and (b) that I had already paid for and just needed installing ;)   There have been absolutely no complaints about being scanned for hours since then.

Anyway, next question I am afraid.  I have toured the US and UK websites (I'm in the UK)  trying to find a link to download a third copy of Webroot Secureanywhere AV, and all I can find is links to upgrade or purchase.   On the US site I found a page which offered to send me an installation file by email if I entered my surname and email address as used by my Webroot account.  I filled it in, and it had never heard of me.  How many times have I been into that account over the last couple of days ?  How can they not have heard of me ? There was no option to enter my keycode as an alternative.  Why is life so difficult ?

I do have a "wsainstall.exe" file in my downloads folder but it's dated August 2013 (version 8.02.127).  Maybe if I installed that it would update itself ?  But obviously it would be better to find the proper place to download my "free" third and final copy, and get the latest version for Win 10.     My new Toshiba laptop seems to have converted from 8.1 to 10 without complaint this evening, so that's one worry off my mind, and it's ready to be protected.

Sorry to bother you guys with all these questions.  Again I'm probably overlooking something obvious... :@

Caravelle
Userlevel 7
Don't apologize about the questions: that is what we are here for.

As for the download, you can either use the one you have now (It will indeed auto update after install) but you can also look just a couple inches down to my signature and click the Download (PC) link.

:)

Userlevel 1
Er, what did I say about missing the obvious ?  All that time wasted searching the website too...   Still, at least you haven't wasted much time looking for it too ;)

That's great, I've downloaded to a USB stick and will put it on the new machine tomorrow - it's way past midnight now.

I finally feel like I'm making progress.  Thank you <so> much.

Caravelle
Userlevel 7
We all overlook the obvious when frustrated and tired :)

Have a good night sleep, see you tomorrow 🙂